• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help required with a list of lost uk stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeytraveler

I decided to go down the easy route now to get what i want for my blog. I decided to do each of 27 post planned as alphabet order start from z all way to a.

All you need to do is;

• state name/s of the station (plus any other names it was known by)
  • Opening date
  • Closed Date

I will be using external sources as well but i want real and actuate info and not just bits of info here and there

I will Mention everybody who take part

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Are you planning to visit all the stations?

Workington North
Opened 30 Nov 2009
Closed 8 Oct 2010

Temporary station built to provide access across the River Derwent following severe flooding.

David Goddard

Established Member
Haddenham (Cambs)
Opened 16 April 1866
Closed (passengers) 02 January 1931
Closed (completely) 13 July 1964

Mikeytraveler

Workington North
Opened 30 Nov 2009
Closed 8 Oct 2010

Temporary station built to provide access across the River Derwent following severe flooding.

Probs in the long term. I mean time im doing it for sole purpose of nostalagia. for my blog.

Thank every so far and some how the title manged to change it name

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Google "Passengers no More" (published a good while ago - one of the writers being one time Area Manager Salisbury - G Daniells) - a good base study which ought to save much work.

steamybrian

Established Member
As GOORC mentioned there are two web sites that list all closed stations in the UK.They show photographs before and after the stations closed, tickets, timetables, etc.
I have to admit my interest in contributing to both these web sites.

There are books listing line and station closures such as "Passengers No More" (public services) and "Private and Untimetabled Railway Stations" by G.Croughton and others.
What else can you add...?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Workington North
Opened 30 Nov 2009
Closed 8 Oct 2010

I had wondered what had happened with that temporary station, it was open for quite a while then?

caliwag

Howdy...

42 copies of various dates available on abebooks.co.uk from 61p +post etc. Of course, don't overlook the superb work of the 'disused stations' guys.

Plainly the likes of Railway Magazine (all available for public view at the NRM, though they appreciate a warning that you'd like to view!) are the best resource, but I suggest you are going over old ground by researching all those years of magazines...fun though it would be.

I have an old copy of Passengers no More from 1962 when it was just a pamphlet. I wasn't aware that it is now a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.