• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help! Unable to collect ticket from the station

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNER 91128

I'm travelling to London for the day tomorrow from Peterborough. I purchased a off peak day retrun with 16-25 railcard on 09/07 from the East Coast website with the option to collect the tickets at the station. I went there this afternoon to pick up my tickets but the machine said there were no tickets matching my card or booking ref. I then went into the booking all and spoke the the very unhelpful and grumpy staff member who said it wasn't their problem and said that it was a print at home ticket. I told him it wasn't and he said nothing I can do speak to who you bought them off.

So then I rang the east coast website and all the man on the phone could say was try another station which is unreasonable. Or try another ticket machine, inspite the fact I told him a tried a machine and the booking office

I need to know where I stand on this if I can't get a ticket after all they have my money and I would like my ticket, there is noway I;m buying a new one!

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
I'm travelling to London for the day tomorrow from Peterborough. I purchased a off peak day retrun with 16-25 railcard on 09/07 from the East Coast website with the option to collect the tickets at the station. I went there this afternoon to pick up my tickets but the machine said there were no tickets matching my card or booking ref. I then went into the booking all and spoke the the very unhelpful and grumpy staff member who said it wasn't their problem and said that it was a print at home ticket. I told him it wasn't and he said nothing I can do speak to who you bought them off.

So then I rang the east coast website and all the man on the phone could say was try another station which is unreasonable. Or try another ticket machine, inspite the fact I told him a tried a machine and the booking office

I need to know where I stand on this if I can't get a ticket after all they have my money and I would like my ticket, there is noway I;m buying a new one!

Many thanks.

We all done it, but did you input the wrong code as the booking reference? Usually there is a refernce to use at the machine and another is a transaction reference.

I assume you gave it two hours from booking online to visiting the tvm.

Check your online booking, did you use that credit car you used and did you specify the correct station to pick up tickets.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
If you call EC's "web support" team and explain in a little more detail, they can access your on-line account and see your bookings in all their details, see which have been collected (and when) and which have not, and how they were to be delivered or collected.

This should solve the mystery for you.

I have made mistakes with the booking reference number on a few occassions but always been able to correct it, with or without help from someone at "web-support", and including some very complicated errors.

GNER 91128

I think I was pretty clear in the original conversation I had with web support but I did try and ring them again but they're now closed until the morning.

trainophile

Established Member
You can access your bookings, complete with reference numbers, in the My Account section of the East Coast website. Check on there to see whether you wrote the number down correctly.

I once went to collect a ticket and the machine said it wasn't available, only for me to find that I had already collected it! Don't suppose there's any chance you've done the same? Doubtful as you are young enough to travel on a 16-25 railcard so should have more functioning marbles than me, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

GNER 91128

You can access your bookings, complete with reference numbers, in the My Account section of the East Coast website. Check on there to see whether you wrote the number down correctly.

I once went to collect a ticket and the machine said it wasn't available, only for me to find that I had already collected it! Don't suppose there's any chance you've done the same? Doubtful as you are young enough to travel on a 16-25 railcard so should have more functioning marbles than me, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Boy I feel like such a tit now! I put my hands up and I'll admit now that I've just found out I'd already picked them up!

After reading your post trainophile I checked my ticket wallet and low and Behold it was there amongst all my old ones! I stupid can you get eh! I picked them up after a night out in Stamford whilst in a stupor.

I'm so sorry for wasting everyone's time! I'm such an idiot!

eastdyke

Established Member
As you purchased the ticket on 09/07 it is possible that the card used for purchase has since been re-issued. A re-issued card would probably not work.

Ah -too late I see you have tickets! Good!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Don't worry about it. I've done that too. More than once.
I book so many journeys while cheaper Advance tickets may be available that I do struggle to manage my system of recording which journeys have been booked and which have had their tickets collected. Maybe we could write a book about personal ticket management?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Glad its sorted although I am surprised by the response you got from the member of staff. I tried to collect tickets I had bought from red spotted hanky at Barnstaple station last week, and the TVM said I had already collected them (when I hadn't). Went to the ticket booth and explained, and the lady took my card and the reference number and printed out my tickets within a minute or so. Very helpful. Would have thought most ticket office staff would be the same.

GNER 91128

Don't worry about it. I've done that too. More than once.
I book so many journeys while cheaper Advance tickets may be available that I do struggle to manage my system of recording which journeys have been booked and which have had their tickets collected. Maybe we could write a book about personal ticket management?

Yeah that sounds like a good idea tbh, would be a best seller. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A satisfied customer - we should have him stuffed. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you I will do. Mainly going for a tour of emirates stadium lead by Kenny Sansom.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Glad its sorted although I am surprised by the response you got from the member of staff. I tried to collect tickets I had bought from red spotted hanky at Barnstaple station last week, and the TVM said I had already collected them (when I hadn't). Went to the ticket booth and explained, and the lady took my card and the reference number and printed out my tickets within a minute or so. Very helpful. Would have thought most ticket office staff would be the same.

Sadly I never find the staff at Peterborough very friendly or helpful anyway but that's for another day! I'm just glad I have my tickets now!

A very informative topic. It's too easy to do that!
If the booking office clerk was friendly helpful, and showed he/she knew the system inside out, quite a few people would forget the net, and buy their tickets there.
I was at a large station few months back, and the clerk suggested to a customer that if he had 2 tickets it would save him £20. (split at Oxford) Excellent service!

andykn

I tend to book a few journeys at a time but the other day was collecting the only booking I had outstanding on my credit card and was surprised because the machine didn't ask for the booking ref, just printed the tickets out as soon as I'd put my card in and out.

It was one of the new machines just outside the ticket office at Norwich.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It has been numerously discussed on this forum about the fact that some TVMs issue tickets without asking for the Tickets On Departure centre reference, see here for the most recent discussion :smile:

TP

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It has been numerously discussed on this forum about the fact that some TVMs issue tickets without asking for the Tickets On Departure centre reference, see here for the most recent discussion :smile:

TP

Indeed, but unfortunately I've enever been lucky enough to use one! Instead I have to faff around with useless touch screens that take six attempts to enter one digit! :lol:

andykn

Indeed, but unfortunately I've enever been lucky enough to use one! Instead I have to faff around with useless touch screens that take six attempts to enter one digit! :lol:

...crouched in half if you're over 6ft in the case of the new machines at Norwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.