• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with B.R training/cab ride video. Eastleigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Alexander

Hello.
It's a bit of a long shot but I'm trying to find a British Rail training, or cab ride video.
The reason I am trying to find it is because my Granddad was shown in this training video demonstrating a new cab communication set-up, but true to British Rail the system wasn't up and working at the time so my Granddad had to pretend there was someone at the other end. I remember that the handset looked like the ones you used to see on the phones with the big dials on them
I believe this was made in the 70s, and his trains would've been on the Eastleigh line, but not sure if it was to London, Pompey or Brighton.
His name was Jim Alexander. I know it's not much to go on but you never know.

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Hello.
It's a bit of a long shot but I'm trying to find a British Rail training, or cab ride video.
The reason I am trying to find it is because my Granddad was shown in this training video demonstrating a new cab communication set-up, but true to British Rail the system wasn't up and working at the time so my Granddad had to pretend there was someone at the other end. I remember that the handset looked like the ones you used to see on the phones with the big dials on them
I believe this was made in the 70s, and his trains would've been on the Eastleigh line, but not sure if it was to London, Pompey or Brighton.
His name was Jim Alexander. I know it's not much to go on but you never know.

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure if you'll have tried already, but YouTube has quite a range of training videos from the BR and early privatisation years. I've seen quite a few route learning videos, and there were quite a few relating to traction training too. It might be worth having a look. I don't recall seeing any going back to the 70s, but many of these were produced by Spa Films, which is still in existence. (spa-films.co.uk) They may have something in their archives, or could perhaps point you in the right direction.

R.Alexander

Many thanks for the reply. Have looked quite extensively on YouTube but will followup on your recommendations. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.