• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with BOJ from Worcester -> Bristol -> Bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumperkin

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help in figuring out the best way of doing this:

2 adults (plus one under 5) going on 9th December from Worcester to Bath via Bristol. We want to jump off at Bristol to deposit bags in hotel, then go on to Bath for the day before returning to Bristol for the hotel.

I am then returning to Worcester on 10th September, and wife is returning on the 12th.

At present I am thinking 2 x off peak return Worcester -> Bristol then 2 x day return from Bristol -> Bath.

Not too worried about timings - going to Bath for Christmas market so would like to arrive by early afternoon.

Does anyone have any better ideas for the journey? Wondered if I can buy Worcester -> Bath returns and break journey at Bristol?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumperkin

Yes, it does.

Wow thanks - £30.50 for the return sounds like amazing value.

Taking this to absurdities, if you had a return from Wick to Penzance, could you break journey several times along the way? Seems like a cheeky way of doing an all lines rover?

JB_B

Established Member
Wow thanks - £30.50 for the return sounds like amazing value.

Note that ticket doesn't allow you to travel via Birmingham (but you could take the scenic route via Hereford and Newport if you like as well as the direct/fastest route via Cheltenham.)

Taking this to absurdities, if you had a return from Wick to Penzance, could you break journey several times along the way? Seems like a cheeky way of doing an all lines rover?

Yes, you could. Obviously that's not as flexible as a rover but if I was planning a long distance tour around the country I'd probably use BoJ on a similar ticket as a spine for my trip; I think that might work out better value than a true rover.

There are some people in the rail industry who would like to remove this freedom.

tom73

2 singles cheaper than a return. Much cheaper north to south than south to north.
(Sorry for image size. Unintentional)
(£88.35 -v- £166.50)701-1.jpg

JB_B

Established Member
2 singles cheaper than a return. Much cheaper north to south than south to north.
(Sorry for image size. Unintentional)
(£88.35 -v- £166.50)View attachment 70577

Even if two singles are cheaper*, an off-peak/super off-peak return has the advantage that you can break your journey as often as you want during the whole (month-long) validity of the return portion.

* For example, a super-off peak return (route: + LONDON) with 16-25 railcard is £176.70 or it's £170.30 for an off-peak return route: Any Permitted.(I don't know which return time/date you'd specified nor which railcard.)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Great thanks :) So I shouldn't encounter any problems when trying to leave Bristol gate-line (shouldn't, not won't ;) )?

No indeed you may well find that the ticket just works both out and back in on the outward journey.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Note that ticket doesn't allow you to travel via Birmingham (but you could take the scenic route via Hereford and Newport if you like as well as the direct/fastest route via Cheltenham.)

Worcester to Bath is also valid via Cheltenham, Stroud and Swindon, which might be an interesting way of going. On that route, the first class ticket looks to be quite good value, especially when Worcestershire Parkway finally opens.

Pumperkin

Worcester to Bath is also valid via Cheltenham, Stroud and Swindon, which might be an interesting way of going. On that route, the first class ticket looks to be quite good value, especially when Worcestershire Parkway finally opens.

I've tried to find the first class ticket but just keeps defaulting to standard class price. Either the prices are the same or there is no first class (I thought there was on GWR trains?). It's our anniversary so if I can 1st class for a nominal fee I'll consider it :)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I've tried to find the first class ticket but just keeps defaulting to standard class price. Either the prices are the same or there is no first class (I thought there was on GWR trains?). It's our anniversary so if I can 1st class for a nominal fee I'll consider it :)

No first class on the local trains. Probably not worth first class on either the ten minute journey between Bristol and Bath or changing to Cross Country at Cheltenham for Bristol. You could try selecting avoid Gloucester to force a Cross Country train between Cheltenham and Bristol.

Status
Not open for further replies.