• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with Haywards Heath to Derby Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilm

Hi Guys

Hope you can help and get the cheapest fare, if not I may drive because of the cost.

We (2 Adults) are traveling from Haywards Heath to Derby on Sat 14th July at around 9am - 10am from HHE.

We return from Derby to Haywards Heath on Sun 15th July at around 6pm - 7pm.

I have an Annual Gold Card from Haywards Heath to London Terminals (NO Travel Card) and my girlfriend has the partners network card but since she is with me she can travel with me as part of the Gold Card.

Now I have looked at megatrain and EMT but am so confused, would it be cheaper if we brought our tickets to Luton under Gold and then advance fare? But I can't find a train that stops there.

Hope you can help guys and girls :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Maybe look at travelling from London Euston to Burton-Upon-Trent (Advance Ticket), and then a single from Burton-Upon-Trent to Derby.

neilm

Thanks but a bit more expensive and adds an hour to the journey. Hoping for an expert on the Midland Mainline ;)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What is the price range you have in mind?

neilm

£70 - £80 for both of us, anymore than this and I might as well drive.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks but a bit more expensive and adds an hour to the journey. Hoping for an expert on the Midland Mainline ;)
Well, you asked for the cheapest, and Sonic2009's suggestion is the cheapest. :-?

£22 from London Euston to Burton on Trent for a Super Off Peak Return, which is valid on any train at weekends. That can't be beat! You then only need tickets between Burton & Derby.

If it's not the cheapest you're after, then I suggest you try http://trainscanbecheaper.info/ and use the "search for Split Fares" function. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
£22 from London Euston to Burton on Trent for a Super Off Peak Return, which is valid on any train at weekends. That can't be beat! You then only need tickets between Burton & Derby.

I did look into that one, but adding the extra bits on at both ends would still come to almost £90 and still entail a much longer journey using LM.

I do have one ticket in mind, thanks to a particular member on here ;), which would reduce the cost to within that range specified by the OP, however that would almost no doubt mean a lengthy discussion with an EMT guard, probably resulting in a UPFN, or a PF and will no doubt be a very unpleasant experience for the OP.

(You know who you are. ;))

neilm

Thanks guys, yeah I looked an adding everything is on it is more. What is the emt ticket? I am just curious it sounds like to much effort really!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks guys, yeah I looked an adding everything is on it is more. What is the emt ticket? I am just curious it sounds like to much effort really!

Nope, I think I made a mistake. I forgot to add on the extra ticket you will need for the southern end of EMT as you only have a ticket for London Terminals. Sorry.

I don't think you can do it for less than £80 as the cheapest Advances would have gone yonks ago. Travelling southbound on a Sunday evening also limits your options. Megatrain is not available on Sundays either. The problem with the Burton ticket is that you will need two singles between Burton and Derby as you are not doing a day return. It is a very expensive flow on singles.

If that is your budget then I think you might have to drive, as reluctant as it is for me to say so.

neilm

Thanks for the information. I have to say I looked a few weeks before and the advance tickets were not much less, maybe they snap up quickly. I think driving it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.