• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with print at home ticket not in my name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrhjrhjrh

Hi sorry if this has been asked before, please point me in the right direction if so.
I've been given tickets by a friend but they have their name on and it says they require ID. Will I be OK to use them or will I get checked and kicked off the train or something?
I think I've attached a screenshot of the ticket

Attachments

• IMG_20160425_110938.jpg
    IMG_20160425_110938.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 106
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The ticket actually states on the ticket that it is for the named passenger only.

These tickets are not transferable, so without supporting ID at the minimum you'd have to pay again.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed, you cannot use this ticket, it is only for the person whose name is printed on it.

Deliberate use of this could even be considered fraud (subject to prosecution under RoRA); unless you can get the name changed (I'm pretty sure you can't) you should not attempt to use it.

Last edited:

Jrhjrhjrh

So I'm correct in assuming that
A. I'd probably be asked for ID
B. They can't be changed to my name

I guess I could ask Sam to lend me his bank card, but is that risky?

Thanks for your help

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I guess I could ask Sam to lend me his bank card, but is that risky?

It would be deliberate fraud, as tickets[1] are not transferable. And now the ticket is visible on the Internet and the name is mentioned, there's a chance a TOC prosecutor could read it and have someone looking out for you on that train.

You should not attempt to use it.

[1] Even normal ones, but unlike with normal ones this type are properly enforceable.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Thank your friend and return the tickets to them. Then buy a ticket for yourself. You risk getting involved in a lot of hassle and a lot more expense if you try and use this ticket. You could conceivably lay yourself open to a being charged with fraud, as Neil says.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You're welcome, I wouldn't want anyone to get themselves into what may be deep trouble.

Jrhjrhjrh

Thankfully I've not yet made any other plans relating to this trip, so nothing lost

MarlowDonkey

The ticket actually states on the ticket that it is for the named passenger only.

Presumably a conventional ticket, which doesn't name a traveller is the same price. Apart from the possible convenience, what then is the advantage of a "print at home" ticket?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Presumably a conventional ticket, which doesn't name a traveller is the same price. Apart from the possible convenience, what then is the advantage of a "print at home" ticket?

They are offered as a different fulfilment option on advance bookings with certain TOCs. The main advantage would be for those who live close to a station with no collection facilities, as it saves postage costs or having to make a journey to a station with facilities.

I don't think they can be amended anywhere but with the original purchase point, however.

Romilly

Established Member

Personally, I would say that convenience is the only advantage. Generally, I book ahead and collect my tickets from a TVM well ahead of the date of travel. But for late/short-notice bookings, the convenience of print at home can be a real advantage, especially when not knowing whether there will be time to buy/collect a ticket at the station before one's train leaves (will the bus to the station be late, will there be a queue at the TVM, will the TVM be out of order, etc?).

ricoblade

They are offered as a different fulfilment option on advance bookings with certain TOCs. The main advantage would be for those who live close to a station with no collection facilities, as it saves postage costs or having to make a journey to a station with facilities.

I don't think they can be amended anywhere but with the original purchase point, however.

One advantage is that you know you've got the ticket in your hand, mitigating any collection problems at the TVM and also not having to rely on the post.

The main advantage would be for those who live close to a station with no collection facilities, as it saves postage costs

Saves costs for the company or the customer? I thought if you booked a ticket online starting at a station with no vending machine then postage was free. Of course, that assumes that the correct number of tickets will actually go into the envelope; as I've found out recently with VTEC this is not always the case!

MarlowDonkey

I thought if you booked a ticket online starting at a station with no vending machine then postage was free.

Whether the postage is free depends on which website you purchased it from. If possible you would book from one of the TOCs that delivers for free, but that's not possible if you are taking up a special offer.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Saves costs for the company or the customer?

Both really, but as with all things, not always the most cost effective or convenient option for everyone.

There is a cost for some people to go to a station and pick up a ticket, and obviously convenience can have its price too, but if you are not fussed about having to collect the ticket from a TVM and keep it safe, then P@H may not be for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.