• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with ticket Manchester to Moreton-in-Marsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvercar

I need to buy a return Manchester (MAN)- Moreton-in-Marsh (MIM)
outward leaving about 5.30pm on Monday 21/2 and return about 6pm 22/2.

I have a 16-25 railcard. I want to make the journey as easy as possible.

It seems that I can make the journey with just 1 change at Oxford, but the ticketing sites I have used will not give me a price for this route, only offering journeys that take the same time but involve 2 or even 3 changes.

Grateful for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Buy two separate tickets: Off-Peak Return Manchester to Stafford, and Off-Peak Return Stafford to Moreton-in-Marsh. The latter of these is valid via Oxford.

silvercar

Buy two separate tickets: Off-Peak Return Manchester to Stafford, and Off-Peak Return Stafford to Moreton-in-Marsh. The latter of these is valid via Oxford.

That's helpful. Thank you.

I was also struggling to find what time was off peak in the evening rush hour.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
That's helpful. Thank you.

I was also struggling to find what time was off peak in the evening rush hour.

Manchester to Moreton-in-Marsh, Manchester to Stafford and Stafford to Moreton-in-Marsh Off-Peak Returns are all restriction code 2V and therefore do not have an evening restriction.

silvercar

Thanks for your help. just realised that I need to decide on route in advance as not all oxford to manchester trains with a change stop at stafford.

Last edited:

shyanthony

Thanks for your help. just realised that I need to decide on route in advance as not all oxford to manchester trains with a change stop at stafford.
All Manchester to Birmingham trains stop at Stafford Monday to Saturday.

You can then change at Birmingham for 2tph to Oxford.

Then connect to Moreton.

Otherwise you can travel to BHM, head to Worcester Shrub Hill and Change there

silvercar

All Manchester to Birmingham trains stop at Stafford Monday to Saturday.

You can then change at Birmingham for 2tph to Oxford.

Then connect to Moreton.

Otherwise you can travel to BHM, head to Worcester Shrub Hill and Change there

That isn't actually true in reverse and it was that that led to my problem.

Looking at the 20:31 Birmingham New Street (BHM) to Manchester Piccadilly (MAN), it doesn't actually stop at Stafford.

That was genuinely the train I may have been looking for, rather than wait at Oxford for the following train.

------

Sorry I'm not being clear. The aim was to reduce changes. So was looking at the 17:32 MIM departure, the suggested routing is:

17:32 Moreton-in-Marsh [MIM]
Oxford [OXF]
18:01
Train 18:10 Oxford [OXF]
Birmingham New Street [BHM]
19:18
Train 19:31 Birmingham New Street [BHM]
Manchester Piccadilly [MAN]
20:58

But the 3rd train doesn't stop at Stafford, so using the suggested ticketing of splitting tickets at Stafford, I would need to wait at Oxford for the 18:38 to MAN.

The way round that would be to split at Oxford, but that means I can't use any trains that are on the route via Worcester Shrub Hill, and is more expensive.

miami

Established Member
I assume you looked at splitting at Birmingham. How about overlap, eg man-Bhm and Stafford-Morton?

The 1931 and 2031 look like they do stop at Stafford. Which date are you looking at?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The 19:31 from Birmingham New Street to Manchester Piccadilly does stop at Stafford. Almost all trains from Birmingham to Manchester do. The 20:31 seems to be an exception; I'm not sure why...

silvercar

The 19:31 from Birmingham New Street to Manchester Piccadilly does stop at Stafford. Almost all trains from Birmingham to Manchester do. The 20:31 seems to be an exception; I'm not sure why...

Yes, it is this one that causes the problem:

18:12 Moreton-in-Marsh [MIM]
Worcester Foregate Street [WOF]
19:11
Train 19:28 Worcester Foregate Street [WOF]
Birmingham New Street [BHM]
20:18
Train 20:31 Birmingham New Street [BHM]
Manchester Piccadilly [MAN]
22:00

Status
Not open for further replies.