• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with train cab identity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

What class does this cab belongs to?

cab.jpg

The picture is from the ancient "How it work- The Locomotice" Ladybird books series. This book is published in the 60's so this is a rather old locomotive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Appears to be a class 47

Hmmm.. I suspect it was a class 47 but it looks different to the one in BVE. The big brake handle wasnt on the BVE version.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Shows how old it is, that's the old Vacume only Train brake. The handle like on the BVE version was fitted when they were dual braked. The guages will be slightly different aswell, due to having the brake pipe and main reservoir pipe gauges aswell. Other than that, there isn't a dramatic difference between that picture and a 47 still operating today, or for that matter a 57. Didn't realise the book was from the 60's though, I'm sure it's a bit newer, but I don't know where my copy is to check.

Turbostar

WOW! I remember having this when I was a nipper lol. Jeez, talk about blast from the past. Def a 47, when they were first built I think.

Mart

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
crikey I remember having that exact book as a child as well.... whatever happened to it I don't know.

The Gricer

The train should be a class 47 as the class 57 has the AWS sunflower alongside the guages.

I rescued this book from the skip sctually and saved it from the incinerator! (no, dont call me a scavenger ok? ;).

My old primary school was throwing out 100+ old books so I just grabbed a few that I had an interest in.

The Gricer

EmergencyBrake said:
The train should be a class 47 as the class 57 has the AWS sunflower alongside the guages.
Yes, it's definately a 47 - I wasn't suggesting otherwise. (After all the 57s have only been around for a few years). I only included the comparison links because a previous poster said that not much had changed between the old 47 picture and the 57s when in fact quite a bit has changed. The loco brake position being one of the most obvious. The combined brake lever has always been in the same position as depicted in the original picture.

Frank

I've just noticed one for sale on eBay (the book, not the loco!):-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LADYBIRD-BOOK...ryZ64189QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nick

ChrisCooper said:
Shows how old it is, that's the old Vacume only Train brake.

Very interesting that Chris, thanks.

Edit1: Interestingly enough I presume that book was made in Loughborough alongside the GCR, near Brush works....! (pity Ladybird books are no longer made there)

Edit2: That Class 47 shows the horn on the far left side, where as in most 47's the horns are now in the centre console in front of the Vac gauge, does anyone know why and when this happend?

Coxster

Established Member
EmergencyBrake said:
Hmmm.. I suspect it was a class 47 but it looks different to the one in BVE. The big brake handle wasnt on the BVE version.
If you look carefully it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.