• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hemel Hempstead to Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukipela

I'm staying in Hemel Hempstead for 2 weeks in August and will want to travel into London a few times. I will want something like a travel card so I can use the buses and underground aswell. Does anybody know the best ticket type to purchase, how much it costs and is it cheaper to limit my travel to weekends? Any other information you think may help would be good too, thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnsf734

Hi and welcome to the forum.

A quick look on the National Rail site shows:

A standard return to Euston would cost £15.60 per day allowing travel at any time. With Zone 1-6 Travelcard £21.40

If you were able to travel off peak then the cost would be £11.20. With Zone 1-6 Travelcard £16.70

A 7 day season ticket Hemel Hempstead - Euston is £72.80 which gives unlimited anytime travel to London but no buses/tubes. Works out roughly to £10.10 per day

A 7 day Zone 1-6 Travelcard from Hemel Hempstead is £93.60 which gives rail to London and unlimited travel within Zones 1-6 of the Tfl network. Works out roughly to £11.70 per day.

A photocard will be needed for the season tickets. Just take a photo to the station.

Not sure how an Oyster card would work with the season ticket perhaps somebody could add some details.

Hope this helps

Calv

Last edited:
get singles to/from euston and get an oyster card, this will allow you the freedom of london, all you need to do is go to an underground station, ask at the ticket office for an oyster card, they will register it and then you will need to put some money on it. after that I am not sure but it is cheaper than a season ticket

mathmo

get singles to/from euston and get an oyster card, this will allow you the freedom of london, all you need to do is go to an underground station, ask at the ticket office for an oyster card, they will register it and then you will need to put some money on it. after that I am not sure but it is cheaper than a season ticket

I disagree. From outside the London zones, a paper rail ticket and Travelcard (combined) is generally better value if you're doing more than the odd Tube journey, and you also don't have to worry about touching in and out all the time. For example, the off-peak extra cost of a Travelcard (as posted by bnsf734) is £5.50, covering Zones 1-6. The Oyster cap for Zones 1-2 only is £5.60.

If you are planning to go into London on four or more days per week, a season ticket may be worthwhile (though do the sums carefully). Otherwise just buy the Hemel Hempstead to Zone 1-6 Travelcard each day you're travelling.

I disagree. From outside the London zones, a paper rail ticket and Travelcard (combined) is generally better value if you're doing more than the odd Tube journey, and you also don't have to worry about touching in and out all the time. For example, the off-peak extra cost of a Travelcard (as posted by bnsf734) is £5.50, covering Zones 1-6. The Oyster cap for Zones 1-2 only is £5.60.
I must have mis-read, I thought that the OP said that he was staying in london and only doing the Hemel-Euston run at the start then not returning to the end

Status
Not open for further replies.