• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Henley-On-Thames Branch Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

I've now been commuting daily on this line for about 6/7 months, starting from Newbury.

Beyond the "excitement" of having a 3-car set do the shuttle, it is (rightly) nearly always a 2-car Turbo shuffling up and down the line. Efficient but hardly particularly interesting.

What I'm wondering is, what units would have worked this line prior to the Turbos? I didn't grow up in the Thames Valley so I have no idea what it would have been.

Also, go as far back as you like!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David10

I think 117 & 121 units from the early 1960s depoted at Southall were used until the Turbos arrived in the early 1990s. There are also a couple of direct services to/from Paddington to get excited about.:) In steam days presumably was in the hands of pannier tanks although larger locos may have appeared on the Regatta specials, today these are just strengthened Turbos.

Appears there were 2 tracks at one point. Henley-on-Thames once had 3 platforms, a goods yard, engine shed and turntable as well as sidings for regatta times.

fgwrich

Established Member
In a way - All sorts of BR First Gen units would have worked through the Thames Valley in NSE Days, as Network South East had a right mix of 101s, 104s, 108s, 117s, 118s, 119s, 121s & 122s - sometimes and rather regulary mixing units different types of units together to create a set or two.

You might like a couple of these websites - Heres one of Martin Loaders pictures with a typical BR Western Region fasion of a set created from a 104, 101 centre car & a 117.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/L408_Didcot_North_Junction_1992.htm

Or 2 Coaches of a 118, and one 121 tacked on to the rear to provide the rear driving end.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/L594_Didcot_North_Junction_1990.htm

http://www.hondawanderer.com/index.htm

As for the Henley Branch - as the Chief Planners already said, most services would have been in the hands of 101s, 108s 121s - Powered and Unpowered twin sets and 122s providing the branch services (121s most of the time), with Various units working any through services - most likely to have been 117s and 121/122 combinations.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/55025_Shiplake_1988.htm

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think 117 & 121 units from the early 1960s depoted at Southall were used until the Turbos arrived in the early 1990s. There are also a couple of direct services to/from Paddington to get excited about.:) In steam days presumably was in the hands of pannier tanks although larger locos may have appeared on the Regatta specials, today these are just strengthened Turbos.

Appears there were 2 tracks at one point. Henley-on-Thames once had 3 platforms, a goods yard, engine shed and turntable as well as sidings for regatta times.

Yes, the Henley branch was double track throughout originally, though I can't remember when it was rationalised. But I do have an old book from the late 1970's (I think) which has a picture of the terminus when it had a little bit mroe than the single platform that remains today! When i first went to Henley by trian in 1995, i was trying to find the same spot that the old picture was taken from, but I think it was no longer accessible.

anthony263

Established Member
It would have been interesting if that suggestion that a class 180 could work a evening peak service from London Paddington - Henley on Thames had gone ahead

Shaggy

Thanks folks.

Incredible the depth of knowledge shown on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.