• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Henley Signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornbyfan99

I'm trying to do a very vague Trainz route based on the Henley On Thames branchline.

I would like to try and make the signalling as accurate as possible.

So...
Is there a signalling diagram of the Henley Branch that I could see or some very accurate info?

I tried searching the web but no good.

This would be appreciated a lot.

Oh and one last thing, is the branch worked on a single line staff system like the Bourne End/Marlow branch?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
The sectional appendix shows the Henley branch as TCB (track circuit block), under control of Thames Valley SC. That means continuous track circuits all the way to the buffer stop at Henley and no token or staff.

I can't find a diagram but I recall signalling to be fairly basic:

An up signal protecting the junction approaching Twyford and a distant on its approach (I think a colour light, probably a fixed yellow)

Platform starters for down movements from the up relief platform and the bay.

The bufferstop at Henley is protected by a fixed distant at braking distance, another yellow color light.

Signals and bufferstops (terminus and bay) fitted with TPWS and AWS where applicable.

Don't forget the level crossing AWB advanced warning board and speed board for the up direction and down AWB and stop board for Shiplake level crossing (ABCL + B).

There are also other speed signs and their AWBs at various places.

When the Twyford area gets resignalled for electrification, an additional starting signal will be needed at Henley. This is a modern requirement for places where trains reverse, not applicable when the 1960s signalling was installed.

A cab view video, either enthusiast or even better a TOC route learning production, would help but I couldn't find anything applicable on Youtube. Sometimes you can pick out signal positions on aerial photography such as Google Earth or Bing, especially the Birds Eye views from the latter.

louis97

Established Member
The Henley branch has 5 signals on it (excluding Level Crossing signals and stop boards). One approaching Henley and it's repeater, one approaching Twyford and it's repeater and one at the end of the platform at Henley.

You can see the signalling here: http://photos.signallingnotices.org.uk/photo.php?pc=241&p=IMG_8989.JPG

The signal numbers have recently changed in the resignalling of the area over Easter, but the locations of the signals have not changed.

Last edited:

MarkyT

Established Member
I found a signalling notice dated from 1972:

http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/scans/74/1972 - IXO 124 Reading Eastern Ex.pdf

(tip: If you are using Chrome, download the file and open in another programme, e.g. Adobe Reader, as the file doesn't display in the built-in Chrome pdf viewer. That's a problem with a number of the scanned files on the signalling notices site).

Note the two platforms retained at Henley under resignalling originally, subsequently reduced to the one remaining today. That explains the need for the down home signal on the approach to the terminus that I missed in my previous post.

Another earlier iteration of the branch layout from 1961 is shown here:

http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/scans/219/LW 10 Henley-Shiplake 1961.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.