Hereford - Paddington: Cancelled stops due to driver shortage | Sunday 11th March

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by Crossover, 13 Mar 2018.

1. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

I was on the 1432 from Hereford to Paddington on Sunday (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C50199/2018/03/11/advanced) which was announced from the start (including at Hereford) that the train would not call at Kingham, Charlbury and Hanborough due to shortage of drivers (initially reported as due to staff shortage)

It didn't initially seem to make sense, but as we barrelled through the stations (possibly to the surprise of those at Kingham - the other two stations platform were empty) we ended up over 10 minutes early at the junction and ultimately around 8 minutes early into Oxford.

Would this have been done because our driver needed to take the Turbo back to Worcester (1W47 1542 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street) or some other reason?

If anyone is interested, passengers for the above three stations that we missed were advised to travel to Oxford and catch the train back (which looks like it wasn't booked to call at Hanbrough, but would hope did!)

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. MotCO

MotCO Member

Could it be that the driver was almost out of driving hours? (I assume that such a thing does exist - I'm not in the industry)

4. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

A driver can be out of hours, yes - for the sake of 10 minutes though I think it highly unlikely to be the reason (bearing in mind we could have been regulated at the junction and kept out of Oxford until booked time)