• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Here's a challenge - London to Coventry with complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesM

Hi guys,

Always enjoy reading the answers to these questions, would love to get your help on this one!

I basically need to do London to Coventry return, but starting half way in either Berkhamsted, Tring or Milton Keynes. I'm parking my car, so need to end up back at the original place.

It's this Friday, so the really cheap advance tickets have gone, but I do need to be on the 14:43 out of Euston (so if there's some sort of great deal on that leg, then fine!).

In summary:

- This Friday

- Mid way point to London (can be slow - After 11am)
- London Euston to Coventry - needs to be fast, specifically on the 14:43, arrive 15:42.
- Coventry back to midway point (will be after 7pm)

- I have a network railcard

- A slight preference for Berkhamsted as the halfway point! Cheaper car park.

What is the cheapest way to do exactly this journey? (ie I need to be on the fast Pendilino as I am meeting a friend for lunch in London, and a friend for dinner in Coventry - ha ha!)

My guess at the answer is.... "MK should be the halfway point. Buy two tickets, MK - Cov, and MK to Euston. Make sure it's the expensive off peak one so you can use the Pendilino for the London to Coventry bit, use the network railcard on the MK to Euston bit, and not on the MK to Coventry bit. Split the ticket on the second journey. You can then use any train, MK to Euston and any train, post 7pm, Coventry to MK, but also use the 14:43 out of Euston"

Am I correct?! - Looking forward to finding out!

Many thanks,

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You can do you journey for under £28 very simply, although there may be cheaper options I have not seen, as the 14.43 from Euston stops at Milton Keynes.

Off-Peak Day Rtn with railcard Milton Keynes (MKC) to London Euston (EUS) £13.20
Advance Return MKC to Coventry (COV) on 1513 (1443 from EUS) £7.00
Advance Return COV to MKC on 1951 (Virgin) service £7.00
Or,
Advance Return COV to MKC on 1921 (London Midland) service £7.00

Alternatively you can use the Off-Peak return from MKC to EUS with an Off-Peak Rtn MKC to COV (£19.90) for a more flexible ticket at a total cost of £33.10

Bear in mind the usual restrictions apply to Advance fares and these are still quota controlled, but are available at time of writing.

tony_mac

Established Member
Isn't the off-peak return from Milton Keynes to Coventry £16.50?

I couldn't see a better way of doing it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Isn't the off-peak return from Milton Keynes to Coventry £16.50?

I couldn't see a better way of doing it.
Correct.

Valid as follows:

DEPART: MILTON KEYNES CENTRAL
Between 0900 & 1514 (inc.) and
at or after 1901.

ARRIVE: MILTON KEYNES CENTRAL
At or after 1030

Status
Not open for further replies.