• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage lines with an industrial theme/fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Hi,
I'm really interested in heritage railways which replicate ex-industrial lines, use industrial steam locomotives as a large part of their motive power, focus on freight operations or use coaching stock that's converted from non-passenger stock. In these days, being unable to visit and looking for inspiration for a model railway, I've been watching videos on Youtube of events at Tanfield, Middleton, Foxfield, Chasewater, Ribble and the Avon Valley Railway and really enjoyed it.

Are there any other heritage lines which fit into this category?
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
You've got the obvious ones, but a lot of the Welsh Lines could qualify, particularly the narrow gauge ones.

The Elsecar Heritage Railway is an ex-coal line, all the locomotives are ex-industrial but it does use MK1's but sometimes just brakevans.

gazthomas

Established Member
Pontypool and Blaenavon? It has a history in transporting coal from the numerous local pits, ironworks and the National Mining Museum is next door

Last edited:

shap summit

How about the Chatham dockyard railway? Its only freight demonstrations, no passenger carrying and just a mile long with a couple of 0-4-0 saddle tanks.

Tanfield Railway. Whilst originally part of the National Network is/was always a freight/colliery line transporting coal to Dunston Staithes on the Tyne. They have quite an eclectic fleet of industrial steam, diesel, even electric locomotives and a reimported Tasmainian Robert Stephenson built 3'6" gauge Pacific! As well as an assorted fleet of former 4 and 6 wheeler grounded carriages and one restored former bogie job [most being former chicken coops and the likes].

Edit: Hadn't noticed that the OP had included Tanfield in the post. Though I've expanded on it.

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
Embsay and Bolton Abbey has a fair number of industrial locos, although based on what was once a double-tracked secondary main line that also saw freight services, so perhaps on the edge of your parameters?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway is of industrial heritage.

Ayrshire Roy

The Doon Valley Railway (ex Scottish Industrial Railway Centre) would be a good fit.
It is dedicated to the industrial side of railways with a lot of old NCB engines and stock and also the UKs only running fireless steam engine.
The majority of their stock is also local from the various pits and industries around Ayrshire with at least one locomotive that worked the site that turned into the museum.

341o2

Established Member
Purbeck mining museum, Norden
Hampshire NGRS Bursledon Brickworks
Amberley museum

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
Ooops! So he did. I do like it as it's fairly close by to me and has an excellent cafe as well.
Great line, handy for the M6 Toll when I'm in the area.

I guess the Telford Steam Railway might be of interest when they get running rights to Ironbridge.

Last edited:

robkitchuk

Bowes railway - former colliery railway, based in one of the best preserved colliery complex in the North East. Plus the remains of rope hauled inclines.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
+1 for both Bowes and Tanfield railways.

While you are in the area you may as well visit Beamish. Northern industrial living museum near Chester Le Street, it’s got a small railway, trams, old mine workings, trams, town shops, trams, a pub, trams....

alexl92

Established Member
Thanks everyone, plenty to look at!

Most 'start up' heritage railways rely on ex-industrial locos to get started. Over the years almost everywhere could fit the requirements!

I realise this - but unfortunately most of those were well prior to the 'Youtube era'!

Tomos y Tanc

I'd big up the Pontypool and Blaenavon. The railway itself has interesting stock and it connects to the Big Pit mining museum which has underground tours of the deep mine, the well preserved Blaenavon Iron works and the town of Blaenavon itself. Apart possibly from Ironbridge, Blaenavon is the best place to open a window on the early days of the industrial revolution with some very well thought out museums and walking tours.

Added to which, everything, apart from the railway itself, has free admission. When we get back to having days out, Blaenavon is hard to beat.

Rikki Lamb

The Middleton Railway in Leeds is quite a well known railway fitting your descrption

Status
Not open for further replies.