• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage railways - museums or railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Many thanks EveningStar for providing a very well rounded response to the various points raised in this thread. I suspect we are always a bit defensive of our "passion that dare not mention it's name"! Although we do seem to be getting a better press/TV image recently....
Yes I must agree with that. Very interesting @EveningStar thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The railway I volunteer at, the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, fairly recently became an Accredited Museum under the Arts Council scheme. This is for the whole railway and not just the museum per se. It took a lot of work to achieve this and continues to do so but is beneficial in terms of conservation and historical study. We have consulted with professional museum staff including a meeting at one of the august London institutions.

Nothing is perfect and I do get exasperated that it is so difficult to experience a branch line type train worthy of the name except, perhaps, on much trumpeted special weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.