• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage railways offering through tickets from National Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Which preserved railways offer through tickets from National Rail stations, and has anyone every bought or attempted to buy such a ticket?

I would guess that in most cases through tickets are only offered from stations served (or managed?) by the same train operator that serves the interchange station with the heritage railway in question.

Also, I would only expect such tickets to be available from ticket offices, not ticket vending machines or online. Let me know if any through tickets to heritage railways can be bought from TVMs, online or on-train if boarding at an unstaffed station, though.

For example, I understand that the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway offers through tickets via Duffield from any East Midlands Trains station.

The EVR leaflet appears to suggest that you can book a through ticket from any National Rail station, either from a ticket office or online via the EMT website, but when you enter Wirksworth as a destination on the EMT site, it does recognise it, but when you click on Search it says an invalid station has been entered.

In fact, the "Go Wirksworth" website says you can even buy a through ticket from Wirksworth to Paris!

See also the threads on connections between Network Rail services and preserved lines at www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142920 and through fares to heritage railways & priv at www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=135437.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Through tickets are also available to the Keighley & Worth Valley and Severn Valley Railways.

steamybrian

Established Member
Through fares are available from Southern Railway stations to the Spa Valley Railway via Eridge. (not rail staff privilege tickets). Here is a scan of a ticket issued at Uckfield for the ticket covering the Spa Valley Railway line.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.