Heritage Tram at Manchester Victoria

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Simon Poole, 9 Oct 2019.

1. Simon Poole

Simon Poole Member

I came across this from watching a vlog on YouTube and seen this on Twitter but on the 20th October, Manchester Victoria celebrates 175 years and Northern having a open day at the station.

Now this is quoted from their twitter page:

It mention that you be able to ride on a Heritage Tram on this day and making me wonder what kind of heritage tram will be used for the day?

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Oct 2019 at 15:00
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Jamesrob637

Jamesrob637 Member

Pacer with a pantograph :lol:

4. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

Possibly T68 1007 or one of the T68A's that were kept for future use? They are technically heritage.

5. Shaw S Hunter

Shaw S Hunter Established Member

After trawling various sites I've found nothing immediately relevant. However that weekend does see the Greater Manchester Transport Society staging Transpo 50 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the original PTEs starting their own operations and this will certainly include their usual shuttle service between the city centre and the Museum of Transport operated by heritage buses.

6. Simon Poole

Simon Poole Member

LOL to the pacer with the pantograph and that's what I was thinking that it maybe 1007, or a T68A, I did see a few in Manchester before withdrawn, in fact I also seen one or two in Long Marston in 2016.

7. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

A bit of a stretched definition of "heritage", and are they still fitted with the signalling kit needed to operate on Metrolink 'proper'?

8. Karl

Karl Member

Pacer with a pantograph would predate any heritage Manchester tram! :)

9. 507 001

507 001 Established Member

1007 is. However it would need a fair bit of work to get it running again, not to mention driver refreshers.

10. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

I recall a few T68A's being kept for crowd busting or something like that, so have been on standby for the past 7 years despite never being used.

11. bluegoblin7

bluegoblin7 Member

No T68As were kept for "crowd busting", there was talk of using one for ice-breaking/works duties but this was very quickly deemed unfeasible. Just one T68A, 2001, remains on Metrolink.

I expect that this is some creative wording, as 507 001 has pointed out the logistics of running 1007 would be complex, and any of the nearby Manchester Transport Museum Society's trams at Heaton Park would not be compatible with Metrolink on a fundamental level. It could mean that Heaton Park will be operating on that day.

12. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Established Member

Unlikely, as they are closed until they can get the funds to replace their stolen overhead copper cable!

http://hptramway.co.uk/index.php/news/
    Perhaps it will be left live 24/7 in the future.......

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Oct 2019 at 15:02
  13. bluegoblin7

bluegoblin7 Member

The wire has been replaced with the assistance of TfGM and Keolis Amey Metrolink and a re-opening is hoped for in the next few weeks.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/10/metrolink-complete-heaton-help.html
    It is also possible that something was planned prior to the theft and that it wasn’t fully communicated through to Northern’s PR team.

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Oct 2019 at 15:03
  14. jp4712

jp4712 Member

We will indeed, the details of the event are on the Museum's website at http://www.gmts.co.uk/what-s-on.html#mainevent . The bus timetable, including times at Corporation St next to Victoria, are at http://www.gmts.co.uk/what-s-on.html#centreshuttle

On Sunday 20th there'll be free vintage bus services between the Museum of Transport, Corporation St opposite Victoria station (stop NU) and Shudehill Interchange (stand E); and between the Museum and Heaton Park Tramway. But I don't know anything about heritage trams, sorry.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2019
  15. 507 001

No idea where you’ve got that from!

the theory that 2001 was being retained for engineering use appears to have just been a rumour too.

16. Ianno87

How many T68/T68As are actually still surviving (i.e. not scrapped)? Is that motley (graffiti-covered) collection round the back of Trafford depot still there?

17. bluegoblin7

bluegoblin7 Member

Four - one T68, two T68Xs and one T68A.

1020; 1007 and 1023; 2001.

18. Ianno87

Thanks.

19. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

That's the first time I've seen that designation. Does it denote the T68A-alike refurb?

20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

I am just joking here, but it could be either steam or horse powered, as long as it is on (temporary) rails, trams don't have to be electrically powered.

21. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

The designation was only used internally, so unless you worked for them you wouldn't really see it that often.

22. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Established Member

That's great news.

However, I am very disappointed with the tramway as there is no mention of this at all on their website as the last headline news is about the theft of the cable. I checked there to see if repairs had been made.

I am doubly disappointed that the Go Fund Me page for the restoration of the cable is still open with no mention that the cable has been reinstated. People are still donating in good faith, last one four days ago (6/10/19).

23. Ianno87

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) T68Xs are the original T68s that got the modifications necessary to run to Eccles?

24. 507 001

Yes, also referred to as T68M.

25. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

What did those mods consist of? The obvious stuff was bogie fairings, coupler covers, internal PIS (with the typeface made from intricate tesslating LED panels), and flip-dot destination boards in place of roller blinds. None of that seems necessary for Eccles running, though, so I suppose there is more on a technical level?

26. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

These were required for Eccles, the standards changed so were more onerous for this branch and subsequent ones than the original network.

27. jp4712

jp4712 Member

The heritage tram at Victoria will be Manchester 173, ordinarily resident at Heaton Park. But I don’t know how/if it will give rides.

28. bluegoblin7

bluegoblin7 Member

The tram is not operational, so will not be giving rides. Static display only.