• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hertford north or Hertford East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 313

Established Member
Right,

Im off to Hertford on thursday as my mum and dad need to go to county council for some reason. As I'm always being injured at school for fighting or for just tripping over somthing:drunken::tongue: Im allowed to come with them :D, Anyway, moving on. Im allowed to visit Hertford north/east stations aswell as other stations up and down the line (down the line if I pick east).

Im asking which is best? Im looking for good amount of traffic with good traction. I know what is used on the ONE line and I roughly know what is used on the FCC line but I would like to know abit more about Hertford north line...

What traction is there? apart from 313s... and is there any freight at all? and does GNER use the Hertford loop on ECS to get into bounds green depot...

Also I will probably pop up to stevenage if I go to Hertford north.

I could turn this into a meet if anyone wants to pop down if not in school or dont go to school.

Thanks

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
down the line if I pick east
Being entirely pedantic of course, you can't go much further down the line than Hertford East - I'd recommend going up towards London if you want to get past the buffer stops ;).

More seriously - I'd have thought that a trip to Stevenage from the GN side would be the best option...better variety than both Hertford stations combined then!

class 313

Established Member
True, though its DOWN to London if you think about it in non railway terms :P

Though I 90% go up to Stevenage if I go to North as I can see freight and HSTs 8)

Julian G

Established Member
Being entirely pedantic of course, you can't go much further down the line than Hertford East - I'd recommend going up towards London if you want to get past the buffer stops ;).

More seriously - I'd have thought that a trip to Stevenage from the GN side would be the best option...better variety than both Hertford stations combined then!
Stevenage is safe now, with the new tickets gates which prevent the chavs going on free travel :occasion:
You can take a GNER as well i believe

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not true,

Most 313s go to Kings X...
Not true. I am sure you know this as you play SimSig King's Cross. Think weekday timetable ;)

And yes, you can bunk off school ;))) at Stevenage, but I recommend somewhere better - perhaps Arlesey - without the centre platforms, as you get better shots from locations without centre platforms, and also there is a curve there. See http://community.fotopic.net/search/simple.php?tab=P&txt=Arlesey for ideas! Arlesey is a nice place, I doubt there will be any chavs there unlike Sh**tenage! ;)

http://www.gner.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/...7A50413F13/0/tue09thur11januarynorthbound.htm Northbound GNER services, add approx 23 mins from KGX for Arlesey. http://www.gner.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/...73EB7FB935/0/tue09thur11januarysouthbound.htm Southbound GNER services (less predictable)

Bighat

IIRC there used to be a link between Herford East and the main line. Last time I looked the trackbed was still there, with little or no non-railway incursions.

WessexWarrior

I live near Hertford, and the best place to go for a variety of traction is Hertford North, really. Hertford East is only of note if you're interested in the old GER architecture/endless 317's.

class 313

Established Member
Ok, well thanks for all your comments guys! I would like Stevenage too see some departing HSTs... (if there is in the time zone in which im there for...)

Well The reason Stevenage is better for me is that its closer so I can get back quicker and has HST screamage 8) Also cheaper ;)

O L Leigh

Established Member
IIRC there used to be a link between Herford East and the main line. Last time I looked the trackbed was still there, with little or no non-railway incursions.

Wrong.

I think you might be confusing the line that ran from the old Hertford North station to Welwyn Garden City with some non-existent link between the GN and GE. The trackbed of the aforementioned line is now a cycle path (more info here).

Apparently the GN did get Parliamentary assent to build a link to allow for diversions at the time that the GE were building their line to Hertford East, provided that it didn't cause delays on the GE line. So the GE built Ware station on a section of single line to artificially restrict the flow of traffic (an arrangement that survives to this day) and told the GN to get stuffed. Therefore, a link line between the GN and GE at Hertford was never built.

one TN

class 313

Established Member
Well I had a great day! I did write a story about it but it hasnt been allowed through yet :|

That situation is like St Albans - Hatfield line... Its a cycle path now. But It used to be track... I think the line needs to come back as it St albans would become important for linking the MML to the WCML and ECML. Also by then the line would go into St Albans city and not Abbey...

Status
Not open for further replies.