• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hertford to Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

piccadilly

My friends grandson need to travel on a periodic basis from Hertford to Sheffield where he is studying.

With a railcard I have worked out that his cheapest option ,with an open return ticket ,is £53.85 with changes at Stevenage and Doncaster.

Any other suggestions?

Thank You.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
£3 could be saved by buying flexible return tickets for Hertford-Grantham, and Grantham-Sheffield, but this would limit the grandson to trains that are timetabled to call at Grantham.

Advance (i.e. booked train only tickets) for Hertford-Sheffield start from £16.85, even for journeys in a week's time, and if through tickets at that price are not available it is worth using new.trainsplit.com to see whether two or more Advances could be combined for a single journey (I can see combinations of Hertford-Doncaster and Doncaster-Sheffield Advances from £13.30 in the relatively near future).

Edit: NB that flexible return tickets are only valid for a return journey made within 1 month of the start date, so would not be suitable for someone who doesn't plan coming home between the start and end of term.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A cheap flexible option is to travel from Euston-Sheffield where a Super Off Peak Return (LM&XC) is £30.70 with railcard discount.

An additional ticket to get from Hertford to Euston would be needed.

gazthomas

Established Member
If they could get dropped off at Luton Airport Parkway it would be £40.20 for a super off peak return

Status
Not open for further replies.