• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HEx - Photography Policy Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
yorkie said:
But what if they say no? I heard they said no at KGX and you did anyway? (Not that there's anything wrong with what you did - as you didn't break any byelaws).

If anyone said no to me I wouldn't complain and start shouting my mouth off about how I have a "right" to photograph trains or whatever, I'd just move along.. I'm very non-conflict when face to face.

It's people who start arguing that they have a "right" to photograph things on stations and annoying the staff which this crap that give us a bad name.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Gricer

LucaZone said:
Im not disagreeing with the fact that we shouldnt be stopped and treated unfairly when taking pictures, but i AM disagreeing with the attitude taken when we ARE stopped. This is a hobby I thought, so why would you want to waste your time arguing. Simply move on and take pics else where.......
But when you read an official release from Network Rail to staff which says enthusiasts are welcome to take photos on their stations and that they can in fact be regarded as an extra pair of eyes security wise, as they can often spot what is normal and what isn't, and then the next day some security guard comes up to you, pushing your camera out of your hand and shouting that "Network Rail don't allow it" it is difficult (for me at least!) not to put up some sort of argument.

Frank

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LucaZone said:
Do you really consider the importance of you taking a photograph above that of the safety of other passengers at the station? I cant really see how security staff can be more intelligent over vetting photographers when we're all getting home and uploading our stuff to the net, for terrorists to download and examine! Which results in itchy feelings about ANYONE taking pictures. get it???
I won't place anyones safety in danger. I won't respond to this provocation further though.
[EDIT]
Tom said:
The release is from ATOC if we're being pedantic. ;)
Huh? I thought this latest release was from Heathrow Express, although to be honest it doesn't achieve anything as it just appears to be along the same likes as what ATOC have already said.

I believe Frank was refering to NR's own instructions to it's staff, and it's NR who own all stations and operate Paddington.

LucaZone

Yorkie : Its not up to you whether you think you're placing anyone else in danger, its the station staff making that decision. So whether you think what you're doing is ok or not is irrelevent, or we wouldnt be having this conversation.......

As for a Network Rail Statement claiming photographers and enthusiasts are welcome, Network Rail dont operate every station in the country, so such a statement cant be applied in such a way. So im not supprised that some places may have security staff that seem to have a different view on us.

Didnt someone else even say in this thread that many stations and TOC's contract out security operations. Which more than likely means the contractor is being told to 'Secure the Premises' amongst other things, and such inclusions as 'leave photographers and enthusiasts alone' probably arent anywhere in the small print. So again its hardly suprising to find hostility when faced with security staff who arent getting TOC or NR staff messages

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LucaZone said:
Yorkie : Its not up to you whether you think you're placing anyone else in danger, its the station staff making that decision. So whether you think what you're doing is ok or not is irrelevent, or we wouldnt be having this conversation.......
If they feel I am placing someone in danger they can call the police, but as I will not be doing so, they'd be wasting police time. I have nothing further to add, as it's very hypothetical.
LucaZone said:
As for a Network Rail Statement claiming photographers and enthusiasts are welcome, Network Rail dont operate every station in the country, so such a statement cant be applied in such a way. So im not supprised that some places may have security staff that seem to have a different view on us.
No, but they do own every station, so they have some say. For them to disallow photography the only way they could do this and it be enforceable is to change the byelaws, I cannot see that happening, and besides there is no desire for that to happen, it's pointless to discuss it further.

If security staff have different views to ATOC, then that is their problem.
LucaZone said:
Didnt someone else even say in this thread that many stations and TOC's contract out security operations. Which more than likely means the contractor is being told to 'Secure the Premises' amongst other things, and such inclusions as 'leave photographers and enthusiasts alone' probably arent anywhere in the small print. So again its hardly suprising to find hostility when faced with security staff who arent getting TOC or NR staff messages
That's a matter between the TOCs and their agents.

Coxster

Established Member
A while back I went to Liverpool Street and tried to find the Duty Manager after the previous incident of having my camera pushed away by a security chap. I asked an NR member of staff (the ones that walk around in blue jackets) who told me to go to the ticket office. The ticket office told to me to go to the travel centre who then walked me to an office. The duty manager wasn't there so they told me to go to an NR member of staff in a blue jacket. As you can see, the DM was not trackable and I was being taken around in circles...

Sprog

Established Member
Tom said:
The release is from ATOC if we're being pedantic. ;)

Pedantic....? :confused:

Person with an abnormal liking for class 31s? ;) :lol:

T

Tom

Err ... no ...

Pedantic is a standard word - dictionary.com is your friend.

Sprog

Established Member
Tom said:
Err ... no ...

Pedantic is a standard word - dictionary.com is your friend.

*sarcasm alert* ;)

Im not stupid young tom, despite apperances :lol: ....didnt get an 'A' in my English Language GCSE for nowt!

Sprog

Established Member
Tom said:
Perhaps he needs to prove it because he keeps missing out punctuation.... ;)

erm..this is a casual webforum..not a bloody english paper or essay

why should i punctuate? :confused: :dontknow:

LucaZone

Sprog said:
Im not stupid young tom, despite apperances :lol: ....didnt get an 'A' in my English Language GCSE for nowt!

So what your saying is: you didnt bribe the examination board for an A using Neat Cattle (seeing as nowt means such in the dictionary). Good on ya! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.