• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hidden Gems (stations , viaducts etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
I drove past Clapham(Yorks) station today. Just to the east there is this pretty little viaduct over the river Wenning. The deck has been painted blue since the pic was taken so it looks even better.

(Pic from Google Street view)
https://goo.gl/maps/WfjUhPc79ZD2

Anyone else found any little known gems from the railway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mathew S

Established Member
I was pretty blown away by Leamington Spa station last week. Beautiful old building, and even has a garden.

Ken H

On Moderation
I was pretty blown away by Leamington Spa station last week. Beautiful old building, and even has a garden.

its a nice example of Great Western Art Deco, designed by Percy Emerson Culverhouse . The rooms of the platforms had nice original 1930's doors and windows too last time I was there. The frontage fits in with the Regency Leamington Spa architecture.
The canopies on the 2 sides of the through lines are not the same style, the ones on plat 3 look older.

and as a Station it works well!

Gems

I drove past Clapham(Yorks) station today. Just to the east there is this pretty little viaduct over the river Wenning. The deck has been painted blue since the pic was taken so it looks even better.

That's Wenning viaduct, Clapham.

I always think the S&C has hidden gems. Every one man and his dog knows Ribblehead viaduct. However I think Sheriff Brow just south of Helwith Bridge, is very picturesque.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I regard the whole route between Settle Junction and Carnforth as a bit of a hidden gem.

Ken H

On Moderation
That's Wenning viaduct, Clapham.

I always think the S&C has hidden gems. Every one man and his dog knows Ribblehead viaduct. However I think Sheriff Brow just south of Helwith Bridge, is very picturesque.
there is Dent Head. It has a little packhorse bridge underneath. Google maps doesnt show it well, go there and look. BTW, Its a long long way from Dent or Dent station!

link to Google maps showing Dent head Viaduct and the packhorse bridge visible between the piers.
https://goo.gl/maps/KvcaNMrn1xA2

Jurg

The bridge at Smethwick Galton Bridge is well worth spending 10 mins between trains looking at.

_toommm_

Established Member
Dent station is absolutely gorgeous along with the surrounding area too. It also makes for great photos of steam trains too at the weekends :D

Helvellyn

Established Member
Hughscrag and Lowther Viaducts on the WCML. The Lune Gorge and climb to Shap are well known but I think the route from around Clifton through to Carlisle is underappeciated.

Just as you come into Wolverton station near MK:

The football ground beside the railway works and the station was home to the works team and subsequently to Wolverton Town football club. The stand, built in 1899, is believed to be the oldest covered football stand in the world. It was set to be demolished by September 2006 because its owners wish to redevelop the site for housing and a community park.

The development went ahead and a replica stand now sits on the original site to mark the significance of the original construction, painted green as it used to be.

20090915-restoration-of-wolverton-park-4.jpg
20090915-restoration-of-wolverton-park-2.jpg

Pokelet

Great Malvern has some lovely mouldings on the Canopy stands. The building itself is also very pretty.

bramling

Veteran Member

Loads of things, if one looks in the right places.

Just a few random ones from my holiday this last week:

* Mosedale Viaduct near Keswick, a beautiful peaceful spot in the middle of nowhere, completely unspoiled and undisturbed

* site of Marron Junction station, near Workington. Little remains to be seen, but again a beautiful peaceful spot, and saw a kingfisher in the River Marron sweeping past a disused bridge abutment

* Boot disused station and Nab Gill incline near Dalegarth at the top end of the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway

* looking at some plans of the CK&P Railway in the local archive in Carlisle, and unrolling one plan to find the signature of a certain Thomas Bouch, the same Thomas Bouch of Tay Bridge fame

Dren Ahmeti

Great Malvern has some lovely mouldings on the Canopy stands. The building itself is also very pretty.
I spent an hour and a bit at Great Malvern on a hot summer’s day - an absolutely beautiful station - with some brilliant ice cream from the café!

Mathew S

Established Member
Hindley Station is a real hidden gem, with gardens, statues, and themed decorations (e.g. pumpkins at Halloween and the like), looked after superbly by a team of local volunteers.

Requeststop

Ok I am totally biased but when the Hayle River is at High Tide and the wind is low and the sun shining, there is nothing better than to sit at Lelant station for a couple of hours. I know many will say the views from Porthkidney Sands to St Ives is much better and yes,in some ways it is, but I think many would miss that picture of the Hayle river basin in full tide and the picture of peacefulness soon, thank goodness to be disturbed more regularly by trains stopping at the station all day and every day. Yipee!

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Ealing Common, a really nice old-fashioned outer-suburban station, a very welcome sight on the London Underground.

Mathew S

Established Member
Wemyss Bay station. Had the pleasure of visiting for the first time yesterday and it's gorgeous :wub:.

Ken H

On Moderation
Arnside. Nice views across the Kent Estuary towards grange, a nice viaduct across the river, an excellent chippy with restaurant. and it even has a tidal bore. Must do Carnforth - Barrow again. its a lovely ride along the Cumbria estuaries.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The Divie Viaduct on the former Forres to Aviemore line is situated in a nice spot. I knew it was there, but hadn't paid much attention until recently. It's part of the Dava way, so you can walk across it.

gcmozart

My favourite station this year so far is North Queensferry. You get a view of the Rail Bridge from the end of the platform. There is also the excellent Forth Bridge Heritage Centre, which had an excellent WWI/naval focussed exhibition when I visited.

I also took the opportunity to walk across the, adjacent, old Forth Road Bridge which was certainly a memorable experience

Status
Not open for further replies.