• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High fare cost Nottingham to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Some TOC's are and some aren't it seems at the moment. Avanti seem to be on the ball with advance tickets at the moment to around end of July but LNER are only around a month. EMR have been a bit hit and miss as the OP points out.
You might want to check LNER again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D54

Kind of off topic so apologies.

Super off peak day return from Nottingham to Manchester is priced at £26.40 and i noticed that one of the morning services, obviously not direct, gives a change of train at East Midlands Parkway.

Is it within the rules of 'any reasonable route' to travel from Leicester to Manchester by purchasing a ticket from Leicester to EMP (£8) and one from Nottingham to Manchester?

Haywain

Veteran Member

Super off peak day return from Nottingham to Manchester is priced at £26.40 and i noticed that one of the morning services, obviously not direct, gives a change of train at East Midlands Parkway.

Is it within the rules of 'any reasonable route' to travel from Leicester to Manchester by purchasing a ticket from Leicester to EMP (£8) and one from Nottingham to Manchester?
If the ticket from Nottingham to Manchester ticket is issued in conjunction with an itinerary giving a change at EMP, and you travel on the train that is shown from EMP, then it is entirely within the rules.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Travelling via East Midlands Parkway (note, the station code is EMD - EMP is Emerson Park in London!) is perfectly permissible on a Nottingham to Manchester ticket. However, you cannot double back through any station when doing so.

So your notional route would have to be something like Nottingham-EMD-Derby-Sheffield and onwards, or Nottingham-EMD-Sheffield and onwards (on a service which runs via Toton, avoiding both Derby and Nottingham).

1D54

Thanks both.

I plan to simply to do Leicester - Sheffield on the outward and Sheffield - Leicester on the return without alighting anywhere. Both services stop at EMD. I did the same route a couple of weeks ago but they were not doing checks but something in the back of my mind was telling me it was not a correct routing and would take some explaining if checks were done, especially with RPI.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks both.

I plan to simply to do Leicester - Sheffield on the outward and Sheffield - Leicester on the return without alighting anywhere. Both services stop at EMD. I did the same route a couple of weeks ago but they were not doing checks but something in the back of my mind was telling me it was not a correct routing and would take some explaining if checks were done, especially with RPI.
That's absolutely fine. You just need to be on a train that stops at EMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.