• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High Speed Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspierail

At the moment high speed rail in the UK is 125 mph or 140mph with South Eastern high speed and in the long term HS2 is going to be 250 mph so i would like to ask some questions based on high speed line.

What would be a good high speed line for the trains in this country

Which areas would you serve

Would the traction be diesel or electric

Finally what would the line be called

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

Hey, another fantasy thread!
Link HS1 and HS2 to international stations if HS2 goes to Edinburgh/Glasgow. If not then maybe Glasgow...?
That way you can get from Scotland to Amsterdam in the near future, this will lower air traffic and be more eco-friendly. If this was the case:
Glasgow-Edinburgh-Newcastle-York-Leeds-Leicester-Stratford (Newham)-Ebbsfleet-Ashford and into France and so on from there. Mind me, services wouldn't serve all the stops, there'd be like a few Glasgow-Leeds-Ashford or maybe a few Glasgow-Edinburgh-York-Ebbsfleet and services can work like that with maybe 4 stoppers a day. It would need refining, but could work.

DXMachina

Can we save a lot of time, server power , frustration and bandwidth by pre-emptively banning AlanFry from this thread?

LE Greys

Established Member
I can do no better than link to a thread on exactly the same subject that I started two years ago.

If you were planning HS2 . . .

My answer would still be based loosely on the Great Central, absorbing part of its trackbed where possible, but used mostly for the slow lines (125 mph) rather than the fasts (200 mph). The route would split at Sheffield for links to Leeds-York-Newcastle-Edinburgh and Manchester-Preston-Carlisle-Glasgow, using existing lines until the new ones were ready. The idea is to absorb Manchester and Leeds traffic, allowing Virgin to divert some Manchester trains to Birmingham - similarly the Leeds express on the ECML could divert to Hull or Cleethorpes. However, and far more importantly, it would essentially take over from a 110 mph diesel line, cutting at least 30 minutes off the time to Nottingham and 45 minutes off the time to Sheffield, plus giving Bradford and "Cleckhuddersfax" a fast, direct service to London. XC would be able to gain several new routes, potentially avoiding Birmingham if they want to. The intention though is not to take over from the two current Anglo-Scottish lines, but to act as a temporary relief line down the middle for about ten-to-twenty years, by which time HS4 (London-Birmingham-Manchester/Liverpool) and HS5 (London-Stansted-Leeds/York) would take over. The ECML and WCML would not be cut in two, with their southern halves isolated from the northern halves. However, the MML might lose its Sheffield and Nottingham expresses, to be replaced by local and freight traffic. BTW, HS3 goes to Cardiff and Plymouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.