• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High Winds - Selective Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
RTT shows some Southern trains today between Epsom and Dorking cancelled owing to 'High Winds". The special Gatwick workings via Epsom and Dorking today (main line closed for engineering), however seem to be immune to the problem, as do the SWR trains on the same route!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
RTT shows some Southern trains today between Epsom and Dorking cancelled owing to 'High Winds". The special Gatwick workings via Epsom and Dorking today (main line closed for engineering), however seem to be immune to the problem, as do the SWR trains on the same route!

Interesting - GTR blaming stuff that other operators on the same route are not experiencing (never happened before)
The only instances I have known where you have high winds impacting 1 operator but not the other are on the ECML.

The Electric trains getting a speed restriction to protect the OHLE and the Diesel's continue at line speed.

But this is a first when wind only impacts a certain operators trains....

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Possibly precautionary speed restrictions reducing capacity in long block sections?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Tree on the line earlier, service recovery affecting some service groups more than others.

sarahj

Established Member
We never have any luck on that line when it's slated a main line diversion route. Remembering a few years back for the xmas closure and the line got washed away (or the embankment slipped) and all the carefully laid plans went out the window.

al78

Established Member
Is this why there was some strange train routing this morning? I went from Horsham to Hassocks and the train I got to Three Bridges didn't stop until Three Bridges (it normally stops at Crawley as well), and terminated at Gatwick airport. On the return journey, I caught a train back to Horsham from Three Bridges which was destined for London Victoria. What was going on there, I've never seen that before?

sarahj

Established Member
The line was shut Gatwick to Redhill, Most trains were terminating at Gatwick and buses being used, but there was a direct Gatwick to Victoria service running Via Three Bridges, Horsham (Rev) and then up via Dorking.

GrimShady

Established Member
Always makes me laugh when WHL/E&G Diesel (before the wires went up) services have been delayed due to high winds. Yeah...good one!

ComUtoR

Established Member
Always makes me laugh when WHL/E&G Diesel (before the wires went up) services have been delayed due to high winds. Yeah...good one!

High Winds are more about trees coming down and the line being affected by other detritus on the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.