• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High Wycombe to Chatham - breaking journey in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussWWFC

Journey details
Saturday morning, aiming to arrive in Chatham around 12.30.
I'll be purchasing a network railcard for the first time
It'll be a return journey.
I'll also be buying Plusbus at Chatham end

I'm looking to have a day out for the first time in ages without the car and am off to Chatham. But I wanted to stop in London. The return price with a network railcard is an attractive £20ish
But I want to stop at a couple of places, a pub in London (near Trafalgar Square) and Borough Market (London Bridge)

I've figured out the starting leg (High Wycombe to Marylebone)
As well as the finishing leg (St Pancras, Victoria or London Bridge) to Chatham)

But I don't know what I am allowed to do in between. I know I can 'break' the journey - does that effectively mean the same benefits as using a travelcard in London, or would I need to pay for the extra bits myself, using contactless or Oyster as I do normally.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike99

I would imagine your ticket comes with the Maltese cross symbol which allows one journey (Marylebone to London Waterloo etc) in each direction (Outbound and Return) on the Underground. Unfortunately it wont allow usage as per a travelcard so any further journeys would need to be paid for by other means.

alistairlees

Established Member
Just do Marylebone to Charing Cross on the tube using your through rail ticket. Then walk to Trafalgar Square (very close). Then walk to Borough Market by crossing the Thames on Hungerford Bridge (the pedestrian bridge next to the railway from Charing Cross), and walk along the South Bank to Borough Market - this is a pleasant, easy and interesting walk. Then catch the train from London Bridge to Chatham (you will need to change; direct services are from Victoria).

Are you going to the maritime museum? It’s very good.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Just do Marylebone to Charing Cross on the tube using your through rail ticket. Then walk to Trafalgar Square (very close). Then walk to Borough Market by crossing the Thames on Hungerford Bridge (the pedestrian bridge next to the railway from Charing Cross), and walk along the South Bank to Borough Market - this is a pleasant, easy and interesting walk. Then catch the train from London Bridge to Chatham (you will need to change; direct services are from Victoria).

Are you going to the maritime museum? It’s very good.
Or, if the weather is grim, jump on a train from Charing Cross to London Bridge. They run fairly frequently.

alistairlees

Established Member
Also I forgot there are direct Thameslink services from London Bridge to Chatham.

davews

There is no problem with breaking your journey or the length of the break. Although only one tube journey each way is included for your cross London trip if you need to use the tube for another journey a single zone 1 fare using your contactless debit/credit card is £2.30. But as alistair says it is quite a pleasant walk along the Thames.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Remember that while you may break your journey in London, if you try to "resume" at a Tube station, the ticket won't be accepted. So, for example you can't arrive in Euston, take the Northern Line to Bank, exit, get lunch, and then use the same ticket from Bank onwards. You'd need to sort your own transport (or contactless/Oyster) to a National Rail station where the ticket becomes "good" again.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So, for example you can't arrive in Euston, take the Northern Line to Bank, exit, get lunch, and then use the same ticket from Bank onwards. You'd need to sort your own transport (or contactless/Oyster) to a National Rail station where the ticket becomes "good" again.
Which in the case of Bank means walking along Walbrook Street to Cannon Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.