• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Highest Volume of arrivals/departures per platform in a "dead-end" terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonT

Which terminal station on the NR network (with no "through" platforms) is likely to be the most intensively utilised one based on the highest number produced by dividing the number of scheduled arrivals/departures by the number of platforms?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Pre coronavirus, surely Fenchurch Street has to be high on the list?

omnicity4659

South Hylton if you're counting stations with one platform? 5 arrivals/departures per hour. The platform is usually empty for 5-6 minutes before another train arrives.

A Challenge

Established Member
Using today:
Stourbridge Town: 107 ÷ 1 = 107
South Hylton: 85 ÷ 1 = 85
Charing Cross (a): 310 ÷ 6 = 51.7
Charing Cross (d): 302 ÷ 6 = 50.3
Fenchurch Street: 160 ÷ 4 = 40.0

baz962

Established Member
What is Stratford platform one and two numbers. Or does the whole station have to have no through platforms.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Honourable mention for Cardiff Bay which has 87 departures from its single platform M-F

Peter0124

Established Member
Honourable mention for Cardiff Bay which has 87 departures from its single platform M-F
Does this use the same 153 unit for all of those departures? Not wanting to count every service but it seems like 153972 was allocated to all the ones I clicked on (about 10). Must be a record if so.

Bayum

Established Member
Not Waterloo?
Sorry. Brain fog at its worst. The busiest stations with the least number of platforms rather than largest station.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Does this use the same 153 unit for all of those departures? Not wanting to count every service but it seems like 153972 was allocated to all the ones I clicked on (about 10). Must be a record if so.
Yes. Usually the same unit shuttles between Queen Street and the Bay all day. Stourbridge is the same, of course, and it's one unit from a fleet of two.

GordonT

What is Stratford platform one and two numbers. Or does the whole station have to have no through platforms.
Where (like in your case) there is a specific operation confined to utilising a couple of dedicated dead-end platforms they would count just as if they were in a segregated station of their own.

A Challenge

Established Member
In that case, Bank Waterloo and City must do good, wasn't there 24tph at peak times into 2 platforms, though only the Bank end is a dead end terminal

AlastairFraser

Established Member
In that case, Bank Waterloo and City must do good, wasn't there 24tph at peak times into 2 platforms, though only the Bank end is a dead end terminal
Waterloo is as well I believe, since the lift was removed when the ex-Eurostar station was built. The depot is beyond, but you need a large crane to lift a train out.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Waterloo is as well I believe, since the lift was removed when the ex-Eurostar station was built. The depot is beyond, but you need a large crane to lift a train out.
At Waterloo arriving trains run empty through to a reversing siding within the depot area. But the frequency is quite low compared to say the Victoria Line.

But it’s not on the NR system so probably OT…

DanNCL

Established Member
South Shields can handle 10tph at its single platform on Great North Run day. On a normal day it handles the same as South Hylton, 5tph

How many trams an hour does the single platform at Eccles handle?

mrcheek

Established Member
Obviously we already have the winner, but Penarth must be fairly high up the list. And unlike Stourbridge and Cardiff Bay, its not a shuttle service

Route115?

I would use the metric of trains per hour during the peak. To broaden the topic I'm going to go back to timetables in my youth.

I agree that Bank W&C would win but broadening the discussion beyond a self contained shuttle.

Platforms 1 - 3 at Charing X handled 18 trains per hour during much of the 80s - 6 per platform I don't know about Cannon St.

Fenchurch St had 24 trains per hour over 4 platforms - again 6 per platform.

The winner however would be Moorgate had 18 tph when the service originally opened with two plaforms so 9 per hour.

Returning to the present, if we include LUL Brixton handles 36 tph on two platforms so 18 tph.

Perhaps there are others I have not thought about....

Ken H

On Moderation
I would use the metric of trains per hour during the peak. To broaden the topic I'm going to go back to timetables in my youth.

I agree that Bank W&C would win but broadening the discussion beyond a self contained shuttle.

Platforms 1 - 3 at Charing X handled 18 trains per hour during much of the 80s - 6 per platform I don't know about Cannon St.

Fenchurch St had 24 trains per hour over 4 platforms - again 6 per platform.

The winner however would be Moorgate had 18 tph when the service originally opened with two plaforms so 9 per hour.

Returning to the present, if we include LUL Brixton handles 36 tph on two platforms so 18 tph.

Perhaps there are others I have not thought about....
If we are doung LU, Isnt elephant and castle up there. Reverses the bakerloo with 2 platforms. They used to 'step back' train crew as the train turnaround time was too short for them to walk the train length. (May still do)

Lewlew

If we are doung LU, Isnt elephant and castle up there. Reverses the bakerloo with 2 platforms. They used to 'step back' train crew as the train turnaround time was too short for them to walk the train length. (May still do)
They still do. Also happens at Brixton, Walthamstow Central, Aldgate, Loughton and no doubt somewhere else I’ve forgotten.

A Challenge

Established Member
They still do. Also happens at Brixton, Walthamstow Central, Aldgate, Loughton and no doubt somewhere else I’ve forgotten.
Loughton isn't even the end of the line, interesting they step back there.

Stepping back also at Edgware Road (Circle and District), Stratford (Jubilee, 4 trains), Morden, Arnos Grove (also mid-line) and at Waterloo Siding (W&C)

Status
Not open for further replies.