• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Highland Main Line Resignalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I know that there's a thread on Highland Main Line upgrades in the Speculative Ideas section, but this is a specific question on present work, not an idea.

Resignalling and other work is now well advanced at Pitlochry and Aviemore ahead of the full HST timetable. I've also noticed new LED signals at Stanley Jn, and I understand that Pitlochry will be controlled from Stanley once the scheme goes live.

However whenever I pass through Dunkeld, while I see evidence of engineering work out of the yard, there's no sign of resignalling there. This seems odd if Stanley and Pitlochry are going to be joined up.

Does anyone know the plans for the remaining manual signalling on the line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The resignalling at Aviemore and Pitlochry for the HML upgrades is done - it was commissioned last month.

No immediate plans for Dunkeld AIUI, but I think there’s something in the medium to long term plan.

Established Member
The resignalling at Aviemore and Pitlochry for the HML upgrades is done - it was commissioned last month.

No immediate plans for Dunkeld AIUI, but I think there’s something in the medium to long term plan.
Great thanks, that makes sense.

Class 170101

Established Member

So as I understand what your saying Stanley signal box will see the train outside the door (so to speak) it will then leave its control area for Dunkeld signal box and then re-enter it around Pitlochry?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
So as I understand what your saying Stanley signal box will see the train outside the door (so to speak) it will then leave its control area for Dunkeld signal box and then re-enter it around Pitlochry?

Yes I think that’s right.

MadMac

Nothing being done to Dunkeld until the route of the A9 in the area is decided - it may lead to a station relocation.

Established Member
Nothing being done to Dunkeld until the route of the A9 in the area is decided - it may lead to a station relocation.
Ah yes of course, I know that there's been a lot of discussion of what they're doing with the A9 around there and the implications for the station, but I hadn't connected that with the signalling.

The last I heard was that the station is staying where it is, but I can see that they're not going to do any practical work until that's for definite.

Status
Not open for further replies.