• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Highly concerned for Medical - Hearing test will fail due to ear infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobilephone

I've been lurking for a while and reckon that if there is anybody on the internet that knows the answer, it is you guys and gals!

I'm starting a job as a Customer Service Officer in a Safety Critical role with the DLR.

Basically, I'm just getting over an ear infection, and as such, the ear that had the infection isn't working as good as it should be. Apparently this is normal if the ear drum has perforated, and it should heal up in a month or so and my hearing will be back to normal.

However, I am concerned that it may mean that I fail the Medical that I have next week. My other ear is working just fine. The hearing problem is noticable to myself, something that I can hear easily through an ear phone in the good ear is barely audible in the bad ear...

In addition to this, I have a BMI just above 35, I hope that this won't be a problem either!

I really really want this job, it's really something I can see myself doing, and the salary is great. I really wouldn't want to miss out because of just happening to have an ear infection!

Many thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theking

What role does the customer service officer do?

I think they are very strict with the Medicals so unless you can defer it till you are healed up then you might have a problem.

Phone up hr as that's the only place that can give you a definite answer.

mobilephone

What role does the customer service officer do?

I think they are very strict with the Medicals so unless you can defer it till you are healed up then you might have a problem.

Phone up hr as that's the only place that can give you a definite answer.

It's at an underground DLR station (therefore safety critical) as staff need to be able to evacuate if there is an emergency.

Other than that, it's a temporary role for the olympics, so mostly going to be crowd control, directing passengers etc.

Going to be devastated if I miss it because of a damned ear infection :(

steviet

Don't know how bad your hearing is at present but I am in a safety critical role and my hearing is not perfect in one ear and I passed the medical but follow the advice given and contact HR.

Clip

Established Member
Contact HR immediately and let them know about it.

Your either at Bank or Cutty Sark from what i can remember but let them know. Your role as a CSA shouldnt be to influenced by a temp infection but if you want any mroe help let me know and i can find out via PM for you due to me know ing people within DLR(the missus)

mobilephone

I'm going to send an email to the person that has been emailing me with regards to the recruitment and explain the situation. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow afternoon, I'll call.

Going back to the Dr tomorrow, if I can get an appointment, to try another course of antibiotics.

Fingers crossed!

In answer to Clip, could also be Island Gardens or Woolwich Arsenal, as they too are underground

Clip

Established Member
Your right it could be - forgot about those late last night..

jimicrowbar

They ask you on the day of the medical if you have any problems that may Affect you before they start. You could tell them then. When I did mine three weeks ago I noticed that if you hit the switch for the hearing test every 3 seconds you were pretty bang on. I counted 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi 3 Mississippi press. If you fail the medical on things like this and pass on you drugs and alcohol screening they will give you a second chance and sometimes use reasonable judgement and pass you anyway regards of what the private medical examiner says. Believe me iv just been from hell to heaven in 3 weeks over a safety critical which I failed due to a bad eye. It’s a long story and I corrected it they said I was getting a second medical then instead they used reasonable judgment and a nice letter from my optician helped and they passes me with out re checking. I would of passed if I had gone for the second and they knew that so keep the faith.

A-driver

Established Member
Don't worry about an ear infection-it'll be the same as failing the eye test and needing glasses. If you fail any part of the medical the doctor will look into why and if it is temporary or permanent. If it is an ear infection then, just like if you need glasses, they will pass you but put you on a restriction until the ear infection is sorted. That means you will have to go back for a follow up a while later when you are back to health and just coMplete the hearing test again rather than the whole thing. It may delay your start date but they won't deny you the job over that. Happens all the time with people failing the eye test and then coming back after getting glasses from their optician. Just tell them at the start of the appointment and take any medication/doctors notes etc you have with you. They know the difference between an ear infection and a deaf person.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.