• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hillside station: can lifts be provided?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S&CLER

After a walk this afternoon I returned from Hillside to Southport by train and had a look at both sides of the station to see how much room there was for the much-needed lifts. (Both Hillside platforms are only accessible by quite long flights of stairs.) There seemed to be room on the up side for a lift shaft, and possible access for construction using railway-owned land. On the down side, the site is more constricted and an electrical switch cabinet would have to be relocated.

Merseyrail has done well in making more stations accessible, e.g. at Formby the lift shafts were very cleverly designed to match the style of the existing Edwardian station building. Kirkdale and Old Roan were also well done. On the Northern Line at least, I would say that Hillside is currently the top priority for step-free access.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesst

Work is due to start imminently on installing lifts to both platforms at Hillside aswell as Hunts Cross, Birkenhead Park and St Michael's

Last edited:

S&CLER

Work is due to start imminently on installing lifts to both platforms at Hillside aswell as Hunts Cross, Birkenhead Park and St Michael's
Thank you, that's good news. With this and the new level-boarding units, Merseyrail should be the most accessible of the heavy rail metro systems, though not quite as universally accessible as Manchester Metrolink. (I don't know how Tyne and Wear compares for step-free access.)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thank you, that's good news. With this and the new level-boarding units, Merseyrail should be the most accessible of the heavy rail metro systems, though not quite as universally accessible as Manchester Metrolink. (I don't know how Tyne and Wear compares for step-free access.)
All stations on the TWM already have step free access to the platform (according to their website). The train to platform interface is almost level, with some horizontal gaps slightly greater than the latest regulations allow. AIUI they do meet the 1980s requirements. Their new stock includes gap filling equipment.

Last edited:

urbophile

Established Member
We could do with lifts at Cressington too. But listed building status might prove a challenge.
(Incidentally Hillside should be in the inappropriately named stations thread. The nearest hill is probably on the Isle of Man).

S&CLER

At Hillside station this afternoon I saw that a notice had been put up on the down platform fence since my last visit: New Lift Arriving 2021. It has a picture of the station as it will look after the shafts are built, and a link to www.merseyrail.org./improvements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.