• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hiring and playing with a layout for the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon11

Established Member
Hi all,

Maybe slightly random, however when I visit model railway exhibitions I have always think about how much fun it would be to spend a day playing with some of the layouts there.

Are there any websites or places where you could visit someone's house and play with their layout in exchange for a fee? There are issues with insurance to protect their layout in case of any damage, but it could be a nice income stream for some people with unused layouts and allow people the opportunity to meet other modellers?

Thanks, Simon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not for adults, but for kids locally we have 'Trackplay'. A company comes along and fills an entire sportshall with pre-set up plastic play track, plus engines etc.

Let's just say my 3 year old threw the biggest tantrum ever when our session was over...

(FWIW your idea for adults in great. Sort of Air BnB for model railways)

MotCO

Established Member
And a vote from me as well. Could you imagine the fun (or carnage?) having to observe signals, points, not speeding round corners etc. :lol: :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There’s something in this idea isn’t there?
I’m just hoping that I wouldn’t have to work my way up from loco cleaner...;)

Peter Kelford

I guess that you could email a layout owner and ask if he would mind coming round, expenses paid, like for an exhibition. Alternatively, you could ask if you go round to his house?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You could ask for a refundable deposit. While it is a faff, the layout would presumably be covered by insurance too.
Third party, fire & fiddle... :)

Peter Kelford

'Play' - Use the layout for enjoyment, potentially in a way that causes damage.
'Operate' - Use the layout for enjoyment, in a way that it should be designed to do.

Bevan Price

Established Member
A few model railways clubs have open days when they invite visitors to bring their own models to run.
Visit this site when/if the Covid emergency ever finishes:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I must admit when I first saw the thread I thought "oh dear", but then on reading through I have changed my mind, it's a great idea!

My Dad has a small layout now in his loft having sold a lot of it off a number of years ago but in its height his entire loft was boarded with a very big layout going all around it with an operating area in the centre (so you were in the middle and all of the trains around you). He didnt do a lot of scenery other than a few model buildings, but it just makes me think how potentially attractive it could have been made to be for people wanting to go there and see it, and of course operate it.

jumble

Hi all,

Maybe slightly random, however when I visit model railway exhibitions I have always think about how much fun it would be to spend a day playing with some of the layouts there.

Are there any websites or places where you could visit someone's house and play with their layout in exchange for a fee? There are issues with insurance to protect their layout in case of any damage, but it could be a nice income stream for some people with unused layouts and allow people the opportunity to meet other modellers?

Thanks, Simon

Hi Simon
I am a member of a model railway club. We have running nights where we operate a very big O gauge layout.
It is signaled and uses block instruments and bell codes between sections
If you are interested joining such a club is the best way of achieving your objective as our subs are £30 a year and £1.00 each time a member attends
The huge advantage is that you can go and see/operate lots of other layouts as most are happy to accommodate members of clubs

I possess an O gauge deltic and this has run on close to a dozen layouts in the last couple of years
If you are near London then send me a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.