• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historic British Railways timetables 1950's to 1990's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I've recently enjoyed looking at photographs on Flickr of British Rail in the 1970's and 1980's. Things were so different then compared to the railway that I've grown up seeing and I'm sad I'm not old enough to remember this era.

Living near the East Coast Main Line, I was pleased when I found the website "The Chronicles of Napier" (http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/) which gives various information about the Deltics including diagrams from a few years as well as the timetable of services leaving and arriving at Kings Cross from 1960 until 1981. This doesn't include calling points however, just headcode; departure time; departure station and arrival station.

I was then interested in the formations of such trains and yesterday I became a member of the British Railways Coaching Stock Yahoo group. It's got loads of carriage working books from the 1950's to 1980's of each of the British Rail regions and I found it fascinating to see how the formations of trains and indeed the stock evolved over the years- from compartment carriages to open stock; from vacuum brakes to air brakes; from steam heating to electric heating and even air conditioning, it's all mentioned in the books as well as the formation of each service of course. I've even found some old Sectional Appendix's (thanks to the Limit of Shunt website).

One thing that is missing however is the actual timetable as even the carriage working books only give departure and arrival stations and other stations are mentioned if the train divides with one or more carriages going to a different destination. So far, I have been unable to find any historic timetables online in PDF form, either public or, better still, working timetables. The only places they seem to appear is on Ebay or on one or two other sites where you have to pay a fair amount of money for a (no doubt rare) paper copy.

So is there any website or Yahoo group which has a good collection of historic British Railways public or working timetables available to view in PDF form for free? I start at the 1950's in the thread title as that is the dates that the oldest carriage working books are from, and timetables from beyond the 90's are often available on the TOC's websites by using the Wayback Machine.

Additionally, are there any similar places where loco diagrams can be found as there seems to be plenty of carriage working information but no loco diagrams other than the Deltic ones so far.

Many thanks

Ryan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic

Established Member
A small number of timetables from the 1950s and 1960s can be found on this site http://www.timetableworld.com/. If you have a few pounds to spare you can if you are lucky pick up old timetables on ebay.

ryan125hst

Established Member
A small number of timetables from the 1950s and 1960s can be found on this site http://www.timetableworld.com/. If you have a few pounds to spare you can if you are lucky pick up old timetables on ebay.

I found those timetables thanks, but the only older timetable for the Eastern Region is from the 1940's. I was hoping to get a wide range of timetables from the 50's though to the 90's which is why Ebay isn't a great option as it'd be too expensive I'd have though, unless someone is selling a large collection cheaply (in which case the issue would be where to store such a collection :lol:)

Bevan Price said:
See this old forum post:-

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54688

If you are lucky, you may find 2nd hand copies of these books.

An interesting read Bevan so thank you. Did these books exist in the 70's do you know? The Eastern Region and in particular the ECML is my main interest (although I am interested to see how things were done in other regions), and HST's had replaced loco hauled trains by then.

I'm surprised that no-one has made PDF versions of historic timetables visible as I'm sure many people would be interested in seeing them. The large collection of carriage working books available for free on the Yahoo group shows what can be done

Status
Not open for further replies.