• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historic Ford Buses/Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merthyr Imp

A Ford R226/Duple belonging to Buckmaster of Leighton Buzzard seen on Huntingdon Street in Nottingham in about 1970 or 1971. It was new in 1969.

Buckmaster of Leighton Buzzard XXD185H at Huntingdon Street, Nottingham 1970s.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
I had forgotten about that one, and yes, that pretty much matches my understanding of how a 1975 vehicle ended up with a 1987 registration (not sure if DVLA would do it like that now.)

It also ended up with Brylaine Travel in Lincolnshire.

Can find suggestions it went in to preservation in the north-east, this picture (not mine) appears to be at a Lincoln Museum event in November 2002, but a vehicle tax / MOT search does not look like good news, it says last tax expired in 2001 (which doesn't quite match it appearing in public in 2002, although there's another photo out there, probably at the same event, with it showing trade plates.)

There's a chance it could still be lurking somewhere, although probably ought to be shown as on SORN if it is (although I think that if a vehicle wasn't taxed when SORN started, then you don't need to declare SORN - I just can't quite remember when SORN started.)
I believe that it still exists and is preserved in its native Co. Durham. Had these coaches been uncovered a few years later, there's every chance they'd have received age-related registrations rather than the current year letter.

Voo

I had the misfortune to have to drive two R1114's, both with Duple Dominant 2 bodies; one with express doors one without. It was like having a hundred toffee hammers being pounded next to you all day.
I later had another with a Plaxton Paramount body; it was quite nice to drive but still noisy.

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Does anyone have any interior views of the Ford R-Series? I can imagine it must've been a pretty clunky entrance arrangement with the big Ford lump right next to the driver.

Would you like sound as well? :)

(Link to video of former Midland/Strathay RLS469T)

Strathclyder

Established Member
Found these which may by of interest:

A Ford R-Series brochure dating from the 1974/75 period, expectedly touting the type's advantages. From the Retro.bus Flickr channel.

It's totally cheating since the first post specified UK, but as is often the case the absolute last place the R-series models could be found in service (unless anyone knows better!) is Malta in 2011. I was born in 1992 so never experienced them back here except in preservation, but managed three or four over two trips to the island that year.
I didn't exclude overseas examples (I really need to start phrasing my OPs better lol), so the likes of Malta are totally fine. :)

Does anyone have any interior views of the Ford R-Series? I can imagine it must've been a pretty clunky entrance arrangement with the big Ford lump right next to the driver.
Much like the front-engined front entrance deckers of the time period (Guy Wulfrunian, Volvo Ailsa, Guy/Leyland Victory & Dennis Jubliant).

Would you like sound as well? :)

(Link to video of former Midland/Strathay RLS469T)

That one is on my long-term 'hitlist' of preserved motors, been after it for a while now. Have already bagged a Y-Type Albion Viking (a rear-engined example), so a front-engined R-Series example would compliment things nicely. :)

F262YTJ

Other major operators of the Ford R series were Smith's Happiway Spencer's of Wigan and Shearings of Altrincham later combined into Shearings.

Smith's dual sourced in the 1970s and 1980s with AEC Reliance chassis and lager Volvo B58 and B10M chassis up until the 1983 order then they favoured the Leyland Tiger instead of Ford R series.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Other major operators of the Ford R series were Smith's Happiway Spencer's of Wigan and Shearings of Altrincham later combined into Shearings.

Smith's dual sourced in the 1970s and 1980s with AEC Reliance chassis and lager Volvo B58 and B10M chassis up until the 1983 order then they favoured the Leyland Tiger instead of Ford R series.
Lager Volvos - one for bus SKOLars

That’ll be my taxi then?

Merthyr Imp

Does anyone have any interior views of the Ford R-Series? I can imagine it must've been a pretty clunky entrance arrangement with the big Ford lump right next to the driver

Much like the front-engined front entrance deckers of the time period (Guy Wulfrunian, Volvo Ailsa, Guy/Leyland Victory & Dennis Jubilant).
Or Bedford VAM and VAL.

This is a Ford R192/Duple, new to Skill's of Nottingham in 1969 and seen at Huntingdon Street bus station there when a year or two old.

Skill's 85 at Huntingdon Street, Nottingham 1960s.jpg

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Or Bedford VAM and VAL.

This is a Ford R192/Duple, new to Skill's of Nottingham in 1969 and seen at Huntingdon Street bus station there when a year or two old.

View attachment 117020
I quite liked the Duple Viceroy bodywork. I had a Dinky model when I was a kid which I think was in the Swiss PTT livery (?!)

My local bus company had a few Fords with the same body, also in yellow.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Or Bedford VAM and VAL.

View attachment 117020
Indeed, a rather cumbersome arrangement (to say nothing of driver ergonomics and comfort) despite it's advantages in terms of airflow and (relative!) ease of maintenance.

I quite liked the Duple Viceroy bodywork. I had a Dinky model when I was a kid which I think was in the Swiss PTT livery (?!)

As do I, rather stylish and graceful. Can't comment on the structural integrity/build quality of such bodies (!), but there's no denying that they looked like little else on British roads at the time.

Lager Volvos - one for bus SKOLars

That’ll be my taxi then?
Don't forget yer coat. ;)

Merthyr Imp

This is a Ford R192 with Duple Viceroy Express bodywork operated by Cumberland Motor Services. Seen in Blackpool in 1972 when it was practically brand new.

Cumberland 806 in Blackpool 2.8.72.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.