• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historic Pacer liveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
There has been significant discussion on the Northern Pacer Withdrawals thread about historic pacer liveries, so I thought it deserved its own thread. What was your favourite Pacer livery? Do you have any happy Pacer memories?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There has been significant discussion on the Northern Pacer Withdrawals thread about historic pacer liveries, so I thought it deserved its own thread. What was your favourite Pacer livery? Do you have any happy Pacer memories?

They looked alright in Provincial I think, but I've never ridden one to this day. I wonder if I should for posterity! :lol:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
They looked alright in Provincial I think, but I've never ridden one to this day. I wonder if I should for posterity! :lol:

Oh most definitely, otherwise you'll always wonder what you missed ;)
Didn't a handful receive Regional Railways livery also, I thought they looked quite ok wearing that and the original Chocolate & Cream livery first worn by the Skipper Fleet down in the south west.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

A bouncy castle on rails? :lol:

Didn't a handful receive Regional Railways livery also, I thought they looked quite ok wearing that and the original Chocolate & Cream livery first worn by the Skipper Fleet down in the south west.

I'm now wondering whether I actually meant Provincial or RR now.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes they did. A couple of 144s also wore RR for a spell, one of which was now-unique 144012. My personal favourite livery would be Valley Lines though.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Didn't a handful receive Regional Railways livery also, I thought they looked quite ok wearing that
Significantly more than a handful: All of the later batch of then-Neville Hill based units, 142072 - 096, received Regional Railways livery, as well as 142015/016, 142023/024 and 142071. 142023, a Newton Heath based unit, was in fact the first unit to carry Regional Railways livery upon its launch in 1991.

There were also some Newton Heath units that carried Regional Railways livery in lieu of the GMPTE dark grey/white/red livery that was otherwise being applied to these units in the mid nineties, due to some sort of disagreement between GMPTE and BR. Certainly some units in the 14204x series were so treated (The Merseyrail yellow livery that such units subsequently wore was something of a latecomer to the party).
Provincial was the livery with a light blue base colour with a wide dark blue waistband and white borders, while Regional Railways had a dark blue windowband, a light blue stripe and light grey lower panels (and cantrail, in most cases).
Yes they did. A couple of 144s also wore RR for a spell, one of which was now-unique 144012.
144011 - 013, I believe.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
A bouncy castle on rails? :lol:

Just to refresh your memory, the RR livery is worn by the class 153 in the shot below, dated July 1994.

Attachments

• IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    408.5 KB · Views: 144

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Significantly more than a handful: All of the later batch of then-Neville Hill based units, 142072 - 096, received Regional Railways livery, as well as 142015/016, 142023/024 and 142071. 142023, a Newton Heath based unit, was in fact the first unit to carry Regional Railways livery upon its launch in 1991.

There were also some Newton Heath units that carried Regional Railways livery in lieu of the GMPTE dark grey/white/red livery that was otherwise being applied to these units in the mid nineties, due to some sort of disagreement between GMPTE and BR. Certainly some units in the 14204x series were so treated (The Merseyrail yellow livery that such units subsequently wore was something of a latecomer to the party).

Provincial was the livery with a light blue base colour with a wide dark blue waistband and white borders, while Regional Railways had a dark blue windowband, a light blue stripe and light grey lower panels (and cantrail, in most cases).

144011 - 013, I believe.

Ah, thanks for that. I never realised it had been applied to so many, perhaps it is due to the fact that around these parts during that period they all seemed to wear either GMPTE or Provincial, and the old WR Skipper livery was still quite common also.

SC43090

The class 141 units started in Green & Cream livery then painted in Red & Cream i liked both liveries

The class 142 units GMPTE Orange, GWR Chocolate & Cream Skipper livery, Tyne & Wear livery, Mersey Rail livery... I liked those liveries..

The class 143 units Tyne & Wear livery, & when they went to wales for valley lines they was done in a valley lines livery... GWR green livery they look very good......

The class 144 units.. The WYPTE livery all varients of that livery looked very smart.... As been said 144011 to 144013 was done in Regional Railways livery never looked good in that livery

The Regional Railways & Regional Blue livery never really suited these units.....

It should be noted that the WYPTE units owned at the time class 155 & class 158901 to 158910 was done in WYPTE Crimson Red & Cream livery...

SC 43090

delt1c

Established Member
For me the best has to be Chocolate and Cream Skipper Livery, worst hast to be the Scouser livery

sprinterguy

Established Member
Ah, thanks for that. I never realised it had been applied to so many, perhaps it is due to the fact that around these parts during that period they all seemed to wear either GMPTE or Provincial, and the old WR Skipper livery was still quite common also.
Yeah to be fair the standard Regional Railways livery would have been in the minority on Pacers in the North West in the nineties, it was mainly applied to Regional Railways North East units.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The class 141 units started in Green & Cream livery then painted in Red & Cream i liked both liveries

The class 142 units GMPTE Orange, GWR Chocolate & Cream Skipper livery, Tyne & Wear livery, Mersey Rail livery... I liked those liveries..

The class 143 units Tyne & Wear livery, & when they went to wales for valley lines they was done in a valley lines livery... GWR green livery they look very good......

The class 144 units.. The WYPTE livery all varients of that livery looked very smart.... As been said 144011 to 144013 was done in Regional Railways livery never looked good in that livery

The Regional Railways & Regional Blue livery never really suited these units.....

It should be noted that the WYPTE units owned at the time class 155 & class 158901 to 158910 was done in WYPTE Crimson Red & Cream livery...

SC 43090
Getting away from Pacers a little but the WYPTE 158s weren't owned by the PTE by the time privatisation came around, nor were the 144 driving vehicles. Just the 7 155s and the 10 MS vehicles of class 144.

As hinted to above, there were two varieties of the MetroTrain "raspberry ripple" livery: the first with a broad waist-level cream band, and the later version with a single narrower cream stripe. 141s, 158s and 307s only carried the earlier, broad-stripe version. 144s, 155s and 321s carried both. 308s were the only class which wore the later version without first carrying the early.

ChilternTurbo

I have a soft spot for the original provincial blue. Mostly because I once got a Hornby Class 142 in that very livery for Christmas. In hindsight the model was quite an accurate representation of the real trains given it was slow, noisy and didn't like going around corners... :lol:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I have a soft spot for the original provincial blue. Mostly because I once got a Hornby Class 142 in that very livery for Christmas. In hindsight the model was quite an accurate representation of the real trains given it was slow, noisy and didn't like going around corners... :lol:
Yes I always found that the Hornby models were very true to the prototype for the reasons you state. :lol:
Really didn’t like Provincial livery. It looked rubbish on anything.
Given that the Provincial 'Railbus' livery was essentially designed around the Pacers units (There was a variant applied to the 150/1s), I've always thought that there's never been a livery better suited to them than that. The light blue was quite cheery and striking at a time when drab BR blue/grey was still commonplace.

In fact, given that they're boxy, basic things with panelled bodies and thousands of rivets per carriage (The Hornby catalogues used to make a big deal about how many rivets were depicted on each, at a time when many models were still more toy-like!), in my opinion the class 142s have suited many of the liveries they've had applied to them.

Last edited:

On Moderation
Getting away from Pacers a little but the WYPTE 158s weren't owned by the PTE by the time privatisation came around, nor were the 144 driving vehicles. Just the 7 155s and the 10 MS vehicles of class 144.
Who did own the WYPTE 158s at privatisation, then, as they are now owned by Eversholt, but were bought by them around the same time as Porterbrook bought the 155s and 144 MS cars.

AFAIAA the 144 driving cars have never been owned by WYPTE, only the 10 MS cars.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given that the Provincial 'Railbus' livery was essentially designed around the Pacers units (There was a variant applied to the 150/1s), I've always thought that there's never been a livery better suited to them than that.

Nah, I think RR blue/grey was that livery, it suited almost anything but looked particularly good on Pacers. I think I just don't like faded sky blue, it looks cheap and nasty (which some would say accurately describes Pacers anyway :D ).

Anyway, so people know what we're talking about (none are my photos):

Provincial liveried Pacer:
http://enacademic.com/pictures/enwiki/49/19880218-Preston-142061.jpg

Regional Railways Pacer:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...egional.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150123031313

(Sorry, can't seem to get them to embed properly)

xotGD

Established Member
Can we retitle this the 'Lipstick on a Pig' thread?

For what its worth, I'll vote for the Tyne & Wear PTE livery on the 143s.

Also worth noting that some 142s still have the light blue roof of their former Provincial colour scheme.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Also worth noting that some 142s still have the light blue roof of their former Provincial colour scheme.
I don't think they do, given that there are examples of Northern liveried units sporting blue roofs, like 142009, that weren't delivered in Provincial livery to begin with.

Plus all units have been repainted with grey roofs under one or more livery iterations before they received Northern livery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.