• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historic Pacer liveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
I was quite excited when they first came in to service. In Liverpool one of the first services they operated was they first of the day in to Lime Street on the CLC route. The excitement wore off quite quickly. Ha ha.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was quite excited when they first came in to service. In Liverpool one of the first services they operated was they first of the day in to Lime Street on the CLC route. The excitement wore off quite quickly. Ha ha.
Me too. My cousin and I caught a brand new one in Exeter when they first started and probably hadn’t ever been on anything so new.
And then one week a year or two later they all disappeared. :lol:
Replaced by 101s/108s and the odd Bubble. Which needless to say we were pretty pleased about.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Getting away from Pacers a little but the WYPTE 158s weren't owned by the PTE by the time privatisation came around, nor were the 144 driving vehicles. Just the 7 155s and the 10 MS vehicles of class 144.

Who did own the WYPTE 158s at privatisation, then, as they are now owned by Eversholt, but were bought by them around the same time as Porterbrook bought the 155s and 144 MS cars.
I was under the impression that the class 158/9s were never owned by West Yorkshire PTE, they were leased from BR as stated in my 1993 and 1994 Platform 5 pocket books.

Post-privatisation they went to Porterbrook, who also managed the seven class 155s and ten class 144 MS vehicles on behalf of West Yorkshire PTE.

On Moderation
I was under the impression that the class 158/9s were never owned by West Yorkshire PTE, they were leased from BR as stated in my 1993 and 1994 Platform 5 pocket books.

Post-privatisation they went to Porterbrook, who also managed the seven class 155s and ten class 144 MS vehicles on behalf of West Yorkshire PTE.
I do not believe the WY 158s were ever owned by BR, otherwise they would have gone to Angel or Porterbrook at privatisation (Eversholt was set up as an “all electric” ROSCO originally). Porterbrook may have managed them for WY but certainly never owned them. Perhaps it was a bank(s) that owned them and leased them to the PTE, before eventually selling to Eversholt.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I do not believe the WY 158s were ever owned by BR, otherwise they would have gone to Angel or Porterbrook at privatisation (Eversholt was set up as an “all electric” ROSCO originally). Porterbrook may have managed them for WY but certainly never owned them. Perhaps it was a bank(s) that owned them and leased them to the PTE, before eventually selling to Eversholt.
My understanding is that they were owned by Porterbrook after privatisation. It was the WYPTE owned 155s and 144 centre cars that were only managed by Porterbrook.

Though it could have been a bank that owned them originally rather than BR, my understanding's not complete, based on what's written in what few contemporary sources I have to hand.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

That was my understanding too.

On Moderation
My understanding is that they were owned by Porterbrook after privatisation.
That is categorically not the case. As they have been on long term leases right from the start, there would be nothing to gain by Porterbrook selling them to Eversholt - which further points to them never having been owned by Porterbrook.

SteveyBee131

And let's bring this thread back on subject about Pacer liveries. My favourite was Northern Spirit, as carried by a few 142s, including my personal favourite, 142025 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.