• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historic service patterns in the Brighton Main Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Yes I noticed that (and posted to that effect above) but ISTR they were Brighton and Eastbourne - didn't spot any Portsmouth/Bognor. But conceivable I missed them ;)
Took some finding again, but the 10.23SX Pompey due 12.40 , empty to Streatham Hill, is shown as C.B.C.
Intriguing BTW is the use of a solo 4CEP on the overnight Gatwicks - presumably easier to do tickets than a BIL/HAL?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Intriguing BTW is the use of a solo 4CEP on the overnight Gatwicks - presumably easier to do tickets than a BIL/HAL?
Did Southern Region guards do tickets in those days? I suspect not from what I was told when I was one, but maybe the Gatwick services were frequently targetted by TTIs (Travelling Ticket Inspectors).

nw1

Established Member
Took some finding again, but the 10.23SX Pompey due 12.40 , empty to Streatham Hill, is shown as C.B.C.

Ah ok thanks.

Intriguing enough is the actual presence of overnight Gatwicks in 1962! Interesting just how early an extensive service between Victoria and Gatwick began (as mentioned upthread, the 15-min interval daytime service to London was also present in 1962).

Status
Not open for further replies.