• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historical numbers of railway workers employed and of worker fatalities/casualties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
There has been quite a bit written on railway worker safety, but so far as I'm aware nothing on the actual rate of accidents per workers employed. Both figures were recorded, so my question is whether there are publicly available sources on total worker numbers and of the number of casualties/fatalities?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S&CLER

There has been quite a bit written on railway worker safety, but so far as I'm aware nothing on the actual rate of accidents per workers employed. Both figures were recorded, so my question is whether there are publicly available sources on total worker numbers and of the number of casualties/fatalities?

The Railway Year Book used to include a table showing the number of staff killed and injured in train movement accidents. The one I have for 1921 gives figures for 1919, in which year a total of 325 railway and contractors' employees were killed and 3959 injured. The highest fatality figure was for PW men at 67 killed, followed by goods guards at 35, shunters at 26 and goods porters at 21. PW labourers are shown as a separate category, but I'm not clear what the difference between them and PW men was, but 21 labourers were killed in 1919. There doesn't seem to be a table showing total employees by company or for the system as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.