• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historical signalbox question (can this photo be identified? Nottingham area possibly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conorg

Hi guys not sure of this is the right place too post however trying too do some digging to find out which box this picture was taken of my great grandad back in the mid to late 60's it is in nottingham we think...no one knows in the family and cant find the track diagram anywhere IMG-20201009-WA0004.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Hi guys not sure of this is the right place too post however trying too do some digging to find out which box this picture was taken of my great grandad back in the mid to late 60's it is in nottingham we think...no one knows in the family and cant find the track diagram anywhere View attachment 84565

It appears to be a Midland Railway or LMS lever frame from the deep base and style of levers and lever plates. The triangular fillets in the top corners of the the windows on the right indicate a Midland box with certainty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomnick

Established Member
Hi guys not sure of this is the right place too post however trying too do some digging to find out which box this picture was taken of my great grandad back in the mid to late 60's it is in nottingham we think...no one knows in the family and cant find the track diagram anywhere View attachment 84565

I’m pretty sure that’s (Nottingham) London Road Junction , possibly during stageworks for resignalling into Trent PSB and after the closure of the direct line via Melton. Nottingham Midland station to the right, Eastcroft sidings to the left, the former Up Goods from Sneinton at the top, and the parcels depot at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

WesternLancer

Established Member
I’m pretty sure that’s (Nottingham) London Road Junction , possibly during stageworks for resignalling into Trent PSB and after the closure of the direct line via Melton. Nottingham Midland station to the right, Eastcroft sidings to the left, the former Up Goods from Sneinton at the top, and the parcels depot at the bottom.
so would that be the box just visible in the 5th pic down here:

and better image here
from this page with other pics of that box

It's a very nice picture to have. There is an element of 'pose' about it (assuming the flash reflection is maybe on the copy not the original however?)- could it have been taken as an image to accompany some article about the renewal at Trent Tomnick mentions, eg for the railway press or a BR staff publication?.

If the flash reflection is on the original though I'm not so sure it would be an image for that purpose however.

Last edited:

Conorg

There is no flash on the original it is a really nice picture no idea who took it at all, thank you for shedding light on to it, it has been a mystery for a few years now and thank you for putting it into the right thread, :)

High Dyke

Established Member
London Road Jn (Nottingham) would seem to match. The diagram looks a bit vague for the layout though. In theory at the top of the diagram should be the LMS&R route to Melton Mowbray, as well as sidings into the corporation depot at Eastcroft. However if the picture was taken after the LMS route closed then it would make sense.

I've attached a PDF map of the area. The signal box is located in the red oval.

Attachments

• London Rd Jn. Nottingham.pdf
    153.9 KB · Views: 64

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Take it that the lettering (top, centre in the OP's photo), isn't sufficiently clear to make out.

Tomnick

Established Member
London Road Jn (Nottingham) would seem to match. The diagram looks a bit vague for the layout though. In theory at the top of the diagram should be the LMS&R route to Melton Mowbray, as well as sidings into the corporation depot at Eastcroft. However if the picture was taken after the LMS route closed then it would make sense.
There are definitely shades of the pre-2012 layout in the diagram, e.g. the facing crossover between the mains near the box, which is why I wondered if it was a temporary arrangement in the later years of the box.

Veteran Member
The lettering doesn't seem to be clear enough. I suspect the photo is in a frame with a glass front, hence the reflections on it?
Even without the local knowledge, I am confident that the 3rd word is Junction.
There doesn't appear to be a box diagram online to confirm.

Signalman70

Hi guys not sure of this is the right place too post however trying too do some digging to find out which box this picture was taken of my great grandad back in the mid to late 60's it is in nottingham we think...no one knows in the family and cant find the track diagram anywhere

Conorg, I have been assembling information about signalling at Nottingham before the manual boxes were abolished, this is the only photo inside one of the boxes that I have seen!

It inspired me to photoshop the slide posted above. I hope you like it, are you happy if I offer it, as part of a feature in the Signalling Record Society Journal?

If you are willing to reveal your Great Grandads name I will show it in the caption.

I'm certain that the photo was taken during the final months before the boxes were abolished on the first weekend of December 1969.

Regards Dave (Signalman 70 on Flickr)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90214143@N04/

Attachments

• LRJ bigger photo g grandad adj 9.jpg
    LRJ bigger photo g grandad adj 9.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
Am I right in thinking there were three London Rd Junction boxes, in Nottingham Leicester and Derby?

Last edited:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Just an odd point but the tappers on the Bakelite Block and bell seems excessively long compared to others I have used or seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.