• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hitchin to Manningtree (Not via London)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stut

Established Member
I need to head off to the wilds of NE Essex. I noticed in the journey planners that a Hitchin to Manningtree (Not via London) ticket comes up with two possible routes. The first, most obvious one is via Cambridge and Ipswich. But the journey planner is also offering me a route via Highbury & Islington and Stratford.

Is that correct? The routeing guide tells me it's LONDON or KE+AP. Does the Overground give me a generic London avoision that lets me use NOT LONDON tickets?

Edit: I note that it's valid with a Network Railcard discount. Which would effectively rule out the Ipswich route.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

higthomas

I need to head off to the wilds of NE Essex. I noticed in the journey planners that a Hitchin to Manningtree (Not via London) ticket comes up with two possible routes. The first, most obvious one is via Cambridge and Ipswich. But the journey planner is also offering me a route via Highbury & Islington and Stratford.

Is that correct? The routeing guide tells me it's LONDON or KE+AP. Does the Overground give me a generic London avoision that lets me use NOT LONDON tickets?

Edit: I note that it's valid with a Network Railcard discount. Which would effectively rule out the Ipswich route.

Yes. For this Purpose London means the London terminals station groupgroup, of which none of the stations you would pass through are a member.

Notes:
For a list of London Group stations and more info on this topic see this post: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-guide-section-3-routeing.70716/#post-1676026

Specifically this quote:
It is generally accepted that a ticket routed via, or not via, a group refers to the Group Stations used for origin/destination purposes, for example a Blake Street to Walsall ticket routed "Not via Birmingham" is valid via Aston, but not Birmingham New Street, as although Aston is a member of the Birmingham routeing group, it is not a member of the Birmingham Stns group.

Veteran Member
As the journey planner shows the route, and (presumably!) somewhere will also sell you the ticket, you are entitled to travel that way, despite the lack of a mapped route.
It might be prudent to take a screenshot or printout of the itinerary, but there must be several similar "Not London" possibilities round the capital - Clapham Jn springs to mind immediately, though it is a via point in itself.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes. For this Purpose London means the London terminals station groupgroup, of which none of the stations you would pass through are a member.
It's a contentious issue as to whether it applies to the London Group routeing group or the London Terminals stations group; in cases such as Leeds or Birmingham there is evidence that pricing managers have assumed it refers to the station groups however it's actually more logical from a Routeing Guide perspective to refer to Routeing Groups. It makes no difference in the case of London Group/London Terminals though :)

JB_B

Established Member
The route via Finsbury Park->Highbury and Islngton->Stratford isn't a mapped route. It can't be traced on KE+AP.

If you believe routeing guide section F page 8 (not everyone does) then the yellow pages LONDON entry stands here for combination EA+KE ( some commentators here reckon you can't use yellow pages LONDON on a Not London ticket but I'm not sure they're right. )

Unfortunately, this route can't be traced on EA+KE either ( apart from via Cambridge, the routes traceable on EA+KE take you through London Group ).

However, ...Finsbury Park->Highbury and Isllngton->Stratford... is the shortest route by rail so it is a permitted route.

Last edited:

stut

Established Member
As the journey planner shows the route, and (presumably!) somewhere will also sell you the ticket, you are entitled to travel that way, despite the lack of a mapped route.
It might be prudent to take a screenshot or printout of the itinerary, but there must be several similar "Not London" possibilities round the capital - Clapham Jn springs to mind immediately, though it is a via point in itself.

Indeed, no less than Greater Anglia will sell you the ticket... But good idea.

Im not sure what route you'd be expected to take on a Network Railcard HIT-MNG ticket if not the North London Line, mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.