• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hither Green re-signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

traingeek97

Plenty of announcements and posters at stations on the Sidcup line warning that there will be no trains through Hither Green for a week at the end of July. It’s to allow Network Rail to switch on the new signalling system - but does anyone know which ROC will be responsible for the Hither Green area? Are the North Kent Workstations moving to Three Bridges ROC?

It also seems odd to be going ahead with the closure given the impact fewer services will have on social distancing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DA1

Plenty of announcements and posters at stations on the Sidcup line warning that there will be no trains through Hither Green for a week at the end of July. It’s to allow Network Rail to switch on the new signalling system - but does anyone know which ROC will be responsible for the Hither Green area? Are the North Kent Workstations moving to Three Bridges ROC?

It also seems odd to be going ahead with the closure given the impact fewer services will have on social distancing.

This was originally due to be completed at Easter however due to the social distancing guidelines at the time it wasn’t possible and therefore it had to be postponed.

I’m guessing these were the nearest dates they could fit into the schedule and it should then be fully functioning after this block. It’s an unfortunate situation but it’s better to do it this way rather than continually having weekend engineering works.

That’s correct. All signalling in this area will be moved from London Bridge to Three Bridges ROC.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I thought the initial works were due to take place in a single weekend. Most of the work is done and they just need to swap the signals over and remove the old ones.

What's changed that it is now looking to take a week ?

There are only minor changes to the Sidcup line so again, a week closure seems excessive ?

With a fair number of services out of Grove Park each day. Does anyone know if they are still able to run in and out of the depot ?

Cheers in advance.

LAX54

Established Member
A little bit more complicated than just switching signals and removing old ones :) and I suppose S.D is going to have some impact on the job too.

Sunset route

It’s to allow Network Rail to switch on the new signalling system - but does anyone know which ROC will be responsible for the Hither Green area? Are the North Kent Workstations moving to Three Bridges ROC?

As to what’s already been said, the Hither Green area which is the last remaining area controlled by London Bridge ASC is moving to Three Bridges ROC. However the North Kent Work Stations that control the line a little further on will be still located within Ashford IECC.

hwl

Established Member

Social distancing has turned it from a (cancelled) 4 day closure over the Easter weekend with not much contingency for things to go wrong to 9 days in August with more contingency for hiccups if things don't go to plan.

traingeek97

Hither Green works get underway today with a complete block for a week. I’ve seen there are services between Sidcup and Charing Cross via the Bexleyheath Line. You’d be upset if you get on one of those without realising the journey time is pretty much double what it usually is.

What will happen to the staff at London Bridge Signal Box? Have some already moved to work at Three Bridges?

And a nice tribute from OpenTrainTimes...

Attachments

• 607AA73F-DEAE-48F6-BEC3-D0AA034C4405.jpeg
    607AA73F-DEAE-48F6-BEC3-D0AA034C4405.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 108

hwl

Established Member
Hither Green works get underway today with a complete block for a week. I’ve seen there are services between Sidcup and Charing Cross via the Bexleyheath Line. You’d be upset if you get on one of those without realising the journey time is pretty much double what it usually is.

What will happen to the staff at London Bridge Signal Box? Have some already moved to work at Three Bridges?

And a nice tribute from OpenTrainTimes...
The signallers themselves as the sites just picking up data feed.

This is the very last part of the move to Three Bridges which stated over 5 years ago, over 90% had already moved over. A mix of move and retire.

Trackman

Established Member
I wonder what will happen to the signalling centre itself?
I can't see them demolishing it, offices?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder what will happen to the signalling centre itself?
I can't see them demolishing it, offices?
Demolishing it would allow platform lengthening to a standard 12 car size, but I think its been said previously that although the operating floor will be redundant, lower levels still contain a lot of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.