• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hither Green resignalling from this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Established Member
Screengrabbed for posterity!View attachment 81246

Love this!

Does anyone have a detailed list of the tasks being performed this week? There has been quite a bit of preparatory work done in the area over the last few months, including track renewals, new signals being installed etc.

The station canopy on the platform two and three island has also been replaced. I have no idea whether this was condemned, or if its been done due to changes to signal sighting standards etc. (or perhaps both).

P2 (and 4?) also now has turn back boards which I assume will allow flexibility to turn trains at Hither Green and run HG - Orpington/Sevenoaks shuttles during engineering works.

Last edited:

BS56

Next on the list will be Clapham Junction/Victoria ASC. Parts of it are already controlled by Three Bridges ROC the rest will follow over the next few years.

Trackman

Established Member
Love this!

Does anyone have a detailed list of the tasks being performed this week? There has been quite a bit of preparatory work done in the area over the last few months, including track renewals, new signals being installed etc.

The station canopy on the platform two and three island has also been replaced. I have no idea whether this was condemned, or if its been done due to changes to signal sighting standards etc. (or perhaps both).

P2 (and 4?) also now has turn back boards which I assume will allow flexibility to turn trains at Hither Green and run HG - Orpington/Sevenoaks shuttles during engineering works.

I don’t know the full list but there is loads going on, I can’t see how they could have done it in a weekend.
as for canopies, Chislehurst is being done too. They built a bridge across the platforms to get plant equipment to the island platform.
Turnback boards at Lee and Grove Park iirc.

Established Member
I don’t know the full list but there is loads going on, I can’t see how they could have done it in a weekend.
as for canopies, Chislehurst is being done too. They built a bridge across the platforms to get plant equipment to the island platform.

Many thanks.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Can someone clarify what "Turnback Boards" are, please?

I would *assume* that the term refers to additional main aspect signals (not subsidiary or shunt signals) and associated reversible working to the next crossover(s) to allow trains to regain the normal running line(s) without the need for hand signallers or special instructions.

Is this a new/recent official term?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Can someone clarify what "Turnback Boards" are, please?

Basically a car mark with a 'T' and typically the train length. What they do is allow a train to come into the platform, stop at the correct mark (T) and then be aligned correctly for its next movement. In this case, trains are being signalled in to the down platform, terminate at the T board, and then change ends.

They have been in use for years.
http://www.railsigns.uk/sect21page4/sect21page4.html Bottom right, 21.92 (southeasterns T)
http://www.railsigns.uk/sect21page8/sect21page8.html Bottom right 21.172 (GTR Turnback board)

Hopefully they haven't messed them up. Recent installations have had to move them because they have been pooly positioned or cause operational problems.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Love this!

The NR twitter feed is a good one to watch as they often give commentary on whats happening, but obviously not always to the high operational level!

lancastria

Cannon Street to Sevenoaks trains, stopping at Petts Wood and Orpington, have been rerouted via Park Bridge Junction and ladywell Loop and then from New Beckenham to Beckenham Junction via Beckenham Spur.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I sincerely hope that's a refurbishment of Chiselhurst platform canopy, rather than wanton destruction.

MotCO

Established Member
How much resilience is built into the Three Bridges ROC? If the ROC was non-operational for any reason (fire, bomb alert etc.) who would take over, or would the whole area grind to a halt?

Trackman

Established Member

Trackman

Established Member
How much resilience is built into the Three Bridges ROC? If the ROC was non-operational for any reason (fire, bomb alert etc.) who would take over, or would the whole area grind to a halt?
There's been a thread about this, not just Three Bridges ROC- but I'm unable to find it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Canopy at Hither Green p2/3 has succumbed to 'wanton destruction' and being replaced with a new one, Chislehurst is a refurb I think as I've seen pictures of it being jet-washed.
I'll know more when I'm down there next week.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I think the South Eastern Railway valance at Hither Green had already succumbed in the 1970's, so arguably less of interest to save, but it's good to know that the one at Chislehurst is being restored.

hwl

Established Member
No one and grind to a halt but mitigation measures take for those two listed items.

carriageline

Established Member
In short

The “old” 4 SSIs replaced with 2 Westlock interlocking.

Axle counters throughout

Fixed red on platform 2 + 4 at HG and GP to enable service to terminate and go back to London / Chislehurst.

turnback signal on Platform 5 at HG

Shunt signal turned into main aspect at Lee to enable turn back to HG/Sidings
new power supplies (not sure of the exact details!)

Status
Not open for further replies.