• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HM 2000 Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I've just brought a HM 2000 controller and trying to figure out how to connect it to the track. I can't seem to find a definitive source but my Hornby track plan magazine says it can be connected to the power clips-although the magazine itself is from 2005 so not sure if that is no longer possible. When I put the wires into the power clips, nothing seems to happen to the trains. Has anyone else used this controller before?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I've just brought a HM 2000 controller and trying to figure out how to connect it to the track. I can't seem to find a definitive source but my Hornby track plan magazine says it can be connected to the power clips-although the magazine itself is from 2005 so not sure if that is no longer possible. When I put the wires into the power clips, nothing seems to happen to the trains. Has anyone else used this controller before?
I've never used the HM2000 myself but I've asked Mr. Google and he's kindly given me the following: ;)

When you say you put the wires into the power clips on the track, are you sure you've put the wires into the right bits on the back of the controller? There are quite a few ports, for want of a better term, on the back of the controller for different things.
This picture from the Hornby Forums shows what I mean:
1611428804732.png
The two holes circled on the left are the controlled DC output for Track 2. This is where you'll need to plug the wires for your Track 2 into. In the right circle are the two wires for Track 1; same as with Track 2 but just for Track 1. I think this might be an earlier version of the HM2000 as more looking into this* shows that there is a switch on the back of the controller, right were the text 'Back Panel' can be seen in this photo. This needs to be 'On' before power can be supplied to the track.

Hope this helps.

-Peter

*More research being this video:

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I've never used the HM2000 myself but I've asked Mr. Google and he's kindly given me the following: ;)

When you say you put the wires into the power clips on the track, are you sure you've put the wires into the right bits on the back of the controller? There are quite a few ports, for want of a better term, on the back of the controller for different things.
This picture from the Hornby Forums shows what I mean:
View attachment 89198
The two holes circled on the left are the controlled DC output for Track 2. This is where you'll need to plug the wires for your Track 2 into. In the right circle are the two wires for Track 1; same as with Track 2 but just for Track 1. I think this might be an earlier version of the HM2000 as more looking into this* shows that there is a switch on the back of the controller, right were the text 'Back Panel' can be seen in this photo. This needs to be 'On' before power can be supplied to the track.

Hope this helps.

-Peter

*More research being this video:

Thanks for the information, I believe I have connected the wires properly to the back of the panel, I just can't seem to figure out how to connect them to the power clip. The instructions say you need a special connection track, but the Hornby website does not mention this and the man in the video seems to be connected the wires to power clips.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks for the information, I believe I have connected the wires properly to the back of the panel, I just can't seem to figure out how to connect them to the power clip. The instructions say you need a special connection track, but the Hornby website does not mention this and the man in the video seems to be connected the wires to power clips.
By power clip, do you mean one of these?
These are not the best way to connect the controller to a layout: I use a Hornby power track piece for my layout and it works using springs to hold the wires in place. The power clips don't have such a feature, instead using this sort of connector to make an electrical connection. This video shows how to connect the HM2000 to the track, using the aforementioned power tracks. Skip to 2:50 to see that bit.

-Peter :)

Peter C

Established Member
Brilliant, thanks for that-wish it said it needed special track on the Hornby website though!
You're very welcome :)
Yes, that is very annoying: I'm surprised they didn't say that. Hornby being Hornby I suppose.

-Peter

I rely on a HM2000 for my DC layout and use these

Seem to work with most types of track.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I rely on a HM2000 for my DC layout and use these

Seem to work with most types of track.

Interesting, do you solder the wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.