• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holding pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kebo

Hi Everybody,
This is my first post but I have had a lot of help from researching the various threads...and would just like to say thankyou!.

Well I have just had an email yesterday with regards my FCC trainee train driver application which I am happy to say that I have passed all assessments and Interviews, which I am over the moon at as it has been a long 6 months process!.
Anyway the downside is that I have been put into a holding pot with the promise of a Conditional offer of employment when the next available intake is,as they have filled all available positions at the moment.

My question is, has anybody else had any experience of being in a holding pot or application on hold and if so could you give me any idea's of your experience.
I am happy to be put on hold with the knowledge of an opportunity of Training in the Future, just don't want to build my hopes up as I have come so far and not be sucessful in achieving my dream,anyway any feedback would be most welcome.Cheers!.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Does that mean you have the job or will have to compete with other candidates resullts when the next recruitment drive happens?

kebo

Ml....not really sure. Hence my question, but they did say"rest assured when we get a next date for intake you will get offered a conditional job offer" but as this is the first time I have applied for any job in the Rail industry and never experienced anything as long as this...with regards Assessments and interviews with this outcome. Not sure what to expect.

LCC106

Established Member
Hi Kebo. Congratulations! The way I understand it from your post, you have passed all the assessments and are on a waiting list for the next intake, as all places are taken this time. Therefore, no actual offer has been made as yet, and when it is it will be a conditional one (presumably on references and medical).

From memory, I think some members of the forum have been in a similar situation to you and the TOC has indeed contacted them whereas others have not been contacted when vacancies arose. I may be wrong - I haven't been in this situation myself.

Hopefully they will stand by their word but I recommend you check their vacancies page from time to time (weekly basis?) and if you see the position arise again just get in touch with the TOC and ask when your conditional offer will be sent out to you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
I reckon that if you turn up for an interview as a driver holding pot or any other controlled substance you've got no chance TBH.

kebo

LCC106 thanks for the advice and yes, I will be checking the vacancies page weekly and hoping for the best even if I am a Driver holding pot.haha...nice one 4SRKT.

Panch

Hi kebo, well done and congratulations! I hope you manage to secure a position in the very near future.

Could I ask which depot you applied for? It's quite worrying if they say they have filled all their positions as I'm still waiting for an assessment date!

kebo

Hi Panch, and thank you.
I applied for Kings cross and I know that the next intake was in April which I presume is filled,hence being put into a holding pot.
But I know there is another intake set for June, so maybe they are doing the assessments and interviews for that one now,which I hope is right as hopefully I will get my chance then.to be honest this is all just guestimation on my part,but I wish you all the best in your assessment.

Panch

Thanks Kebo, it really is a waiting game!
Please keep us updated and good luck.

W230

Established Member
Hi Kebo, i'm in the same position as you. When I had my interview they said that they were starting courses in April and June. I'm hoping that we get a bell about the June one as i'm assuming April must now be full.

According to the email we received from FCC we will be contacted. Just hope that it's not long! Fingers crossed...

kebo

Hi W230, and congrats mate.Yes fingers crossed we have made it this far so Hopefully a Good outcome.
The thing is it was hard enough waiting for news during all the applications and interviews,and now to be put into a Holding pot its difficult to stop the negativity creeping in.Anyways cheers for letting me know your situation and if I hear anything I will definatley let you know.

bezzer

Hi Kebo,

I passed all the assessments and interviews back in January 2011. I was offered the job but had to turn it down for various reasons. However, I knew that my assessment results remained valid for 2 years. Every few months I e-mailed HR just to ask if any vacancies were coming up.

A year later I have been offered a trainee position and start in April. So it is worth hanging in there. You are at an advantage because you have passed all the hurdles. But it does no harm every now and then contacting HR just to remind them that you are still keen and interested. Good luck.

W230

Established Member
Kebo, got a phone call from FCC yesterday afternoon saying that I should be be starting induction at the end of August. So things are definitely moving again. Would have been nice to have been able to start earlier but at least i'll get a summer holiday this way so it's not all bad.

Have you heard anything?

kebo

W230 congratulations,Have they given you a date for medical as well then?.I haven't heard anything as yet so fingers cross I get a call soon.

Bezzer thanks for your advice it all helps.

Panch

I've been invited for an Assessment day on April 26th. Fingers crossed for me guys please! No mention of the dreaded mechanical test though on the letter - is that correct for those of you that have experienced this?

How many prospective lady drivers out there?

kebo

Good Luck Panch on your assessment.As for me there was no mechanical test,my advice would be to stay calm during the assessments and don't be afraid to ask for help before the assessment starts. They will explain how to attempt each assessment obviously without giving you the answers,I say this because someone on my assessment failed because he wasn't sure the correct way to complete the test and was told if he wasn't sure he should of asked.There was one lady at my 2nd stage assessment not sure what her outcome was.

Gareth43

Hi everyone, I applied last November and still waiting for an assessment date to become available, as my application has been put on hold I am not sure when this will be :(

kebo

Hi Gareth,I am pretty sure there are some assessments happening in April as I have seen other members post's on this forum.I would give HR a call and enquire about your application on hold...it might just jog there memory!.Good luck.

W230

Established Member
I'm sure more assessments will come up Gareth. When I had my interview FCC said they were going to be recruiting huge numbers over the coming months/years. While i'm not sure what 'huge' means in TOC driver terms, I would stay positive because there are loads that drop out/fail at assessments. I'm sure you'll get a go at an assessment if your application is through to shortlisting.

Panch, there was a lady at my assessment. FCC don't do the mechanical comprehension test.

In the morning we did Group Bourden, Glop test (trainability test) and dials test. They then sent anyone home who had failed any of those three tests.

After lunch we did SCAAT and driver fault finding test. On a second date around a week later we did the reaction test and the criteria based interview.

Hope that heps. :D

Gareth43

Thanks for the info Kebo, W230, Does any one know how to contact HR I have searched the FCC website and I can not find the details to contact them.
Regards
Gareth

kebo

Hi Gareth, The Hr number for FCC is 0845 0000 303 there operating hrs are 9am-5pm Mon -Fri.Hope this helps.

Beveridges

Established Member
I have applied for Driver just over 30 times now, I've been put "on hold" a couple of times with different companies but nothing ever came of it. One of them was even after medical stage. However some companies only keep you "on hold" 6-12 months, so if vacancies came up in that period for that depot then I wouldnt need re-interviewing and would have instantly got the job, but they didnt come up so had to start again from app form stage next time.

kebo

Hi Beveridges,Wow, now I am seriously biting my nails!.Was any of the two applications you didn'y hear anything back from part of the First group Toc?.

Gareth43

Ok, so I called HR this morning, and was told that "my application was still on hold, until further dates are available and that I will be considered at the next intake"
So it seems that i have missed out on the first and second intakes now.
It is very disheartening to hear this as I was told after the first intake that I would be considered at the next available dates and yet I was not, It seems that it is going to be a long wait for me :cry:

shirleyd286

Gareth know how you feel! I phone them occassionally to be told same thing, I have yet to find anyone called forward to assessment to PBO (anyone here actually disprove this?) A big old waiting game it seems, a really frustrating one in that...

Topgun

Peterboro' and Kings Lynn depots are both "dead mans shoes", and any vacancies are always filled by internal transfers.
On the GN you are looking at Kings X, possibly Hitchin or Cambridge.
On the TL you are looking at Blackfriars, Bedford or possibly Brighton.

Gareth43

As far as I am aware all external vacancies must go to external applicants only and as FCC have a equal opportunity's policy they cannot go to internal applicants.

FCC are currently recruiting both internal and external trainee train drivers, however it seems that the internal vacancies are moving along much quicker than the external ones. :(

To my knowledge the kings x positions are a priority and assessments and interviews for this have already taken place earlier this month, but as for the other depots I have no idea as to what order they will be issuing assessment dates for.

I guess all we can do is wait to see if we get offered one of the next two assessment dates later on this year.

W230

Established Member
At a guess I think they're doing several batches of assessments/interviews. I applied in early November and have only just completed the final interview. I've been told that i'm not likely to start until September. Gives you an idea of the drawn out process!

When I had my assessment they were running assessments for two weeks. When I had my interview they were running interviews for two weeks. These were running while the vacancies were still open so if you've been shortlisted I am sure you will get an assessment date at some point. It's just that waiting game. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.