• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holiday Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m slightly confused by the guidance and where we stand on the issue of holidays (both domestic and international).

I’m well aware that we are, according to the guidance, technically allowed to go on holiday, but there are many things I’ve been wondering about which are putting me off making any bookings:
  • Where do I stand if I’ve booked a holiday if the area I’m living in is forced into a “local lockdown”? Am I entitled to get my money back, or am I forced to lose out simply due to bad luck on my part? If so I’ll be very reluctant to book anywhere.
  • What happens if the area I plan to visit is on a “local lockdown” and the hotel/accommodation I have booked is forced to close? I would assume I’d be entitled to a refund from the hotel, but would this warrant a refund on say an advance ticket booked to the destination which would no longer be used due to a local lockdown?
  • If I choose to travel internationally, and the area of the airport is in “local lockdown” meaning that hotels cannot be booked for the night before, will tickets be amendable to accommodate for this or will we simply be expected to make alternative arrangements?

I don’t feel that the guidance has been particularly clear on these issues, and because of this I, along with many others, am very reluctant to book any holidays in fear that I’ll lose all my money over simple “bad luck” in terms of local lockdowns.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For exactly this reason, can see a lot of my plans being fairly last-minute for the short to medium term - most hotels (or at least, pretty much all the big chains) now allow you to cancel/reschedule with no penalty up until a couple of days before arrival but you're correct in that Advance tickets would still probably be non-refundable.

I'd be a bit more confident with regard to international travel and airport hotels - because we're shortly going to be effectively allowing tourism inbound to England, and I suspect Scotland will follow suit not long afterwards if not on the same date, airport hotels are a pretty safe bet, it would be near-impossible to shut these down again as of next week.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I've booked a week away in August in the UK. The accommodation terms and conditions say I can receive a full refund if: (i) there are any travel restrictions which mean I cannot go, (ii) there are any local restrictions in the area of the accommodation and (iii) myself or any other member of the party develops any CV symptoms.

The last one pretty much means you can cancel for any reason, as there is no way they will be able to prove that you didn't wake up with a bit of a temperature or a cough.

As for train tickets - not sure because the railway has made it perfectly clear that they don't want my business at the moment, so I'll be driving there.

I also have an annual travel insurance policy that was set up before CV which may cover me - I have not checked. New policies won't though, CV will be an exclusion.

My bigger fear is that the local people in the area we are visiting will resent us being there and make life difficult.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I think that with the exception of the risk of catching Covid-19 yourself, travel insurance will cover what you're asking for, provided that:
- You aren't travelling to a destination where the FCO currently advises you not to
- You're prepared to pay for more than the cheapest insurance
- You're happy to put the time into reading the fine print, to shop around and maybe even to negotiate with the insurer
- You don't cancel as a result of a 'change of heart', only as a result of a verifiable change of circumstances

If you're booking hotel or self catering accommodation you may be able to specify your search for refundable only. Refundable flight or other travel bookings also available.

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Local lockdowns have the potential to be quite the headache for residents, visitors and local authorities. I was listening to callers on Radio 4 yesterday from places near Leicester and they were resentful that their areas had also been shut down even though they had no noticeable spike in their immediate area. Lots of concern expressed as to people then driving out of the lockdown areas to nearby boroughs without lockdown, I can see communication being difficult and resulting confusion.

If I were booking a holiday over summer I'd be looking at driving there and staying in self-catered accomodation if possible, I still think international travel has the ability to be unpredictable over the coming months. Yes there are countries in Europe extremely keen to see the British spending their Euros again but what happens if there's a spike where you're staying? Past experience has shown that Spain in particular has been fairly draconian in reimplementing lockdowns when there are concerns over the virus spread and their version of lockdown has been a don't leave your hotel for any reason type of approach!

317 forever

Established Member
Another concern is if within the 14 days prior to going away on holiday, even within our home UK nation, we are called under Test & Trace to self-isolate.

Given that the government have effectively nationalised train operations, would they give us a full refund on train tickets including any Advance tickets that were available at over 14 days notice eg TPE? I somehow doubt it.

ChrisC

Established Member
If I were booking a holiday over summer I'd be looking at driving there and staying in self-catered accomodation if possible, I still think international travel has the ability to be unpredictable over the coming months.

That’s exactly what I am intending to do. I can’t see much fun in staying in a hotel if bar and restaurant facilities are limited and also eating out in some areas may not be easy. At least when staying in self catering accommodation you have got a microwave and other cooking facilities and you can buy food from a local supermarket. Even a small self catering cottage with just one bedroom has more space than being stuck in a hotel room. Also if someone in the hotel where you are staying develops Coronavirus you could then be subject to 14 days self isolation.

I will book something just a few days before. Any nice rural or coastal location will be ok for me. I don’t want a busy tourist area or national parks, just somewhere with different walks from the ones I’ve been doing in my own rural area for the last 3 months.

thejuggler

That’s exactly what I am intending to do. I can’t see much fun in staying in a hotel if bar and restaurant facilities are limited and also eating out in some areas may not be easy. At least when staying in self catering accommodation you have got a microwave and other cooking facilities and you can buy food from a local supermarket. Even a small self catering cottage with just one bedroom has more space than being stuck in a hotel room. Also if someone in the hotel where you are staying develops Coronavirus you could then be subject to 14 days self isolation.

I will book something just a few days before. Any nice rural or coastal location will be ok for me. I don’t want a busy tourist area or national parks, just somewhere with different walks from the ones I’ve been doing in my own rural area for the last 3 months.

Just what we intend to do. Just need to get up to speed on any changes implemented by the cottage owners and booking companies.

island

Veteran Member
I’m slightly confused by the guidance and where we stand on the issue of holidays (both domestic and international).

I’m well aware that we are, according to the guidance, technically allowed to go on holiday, but there are many things I’ve been wondering about which are putting me off making any bookings:
  • Where do I stand if I’ve booked a holiday if the area I’m living in is forced into a “local lockdown”? Am I entitled to get my money back, or am I forced to lose out simply due to bad luck on my part? If so I’ll be very reluctant to book anywhere.
  • What happens if the area I plan to visit is on a “local lockdown” and the hotel/accommodation I have booked is forced to close? I would assume I’d be entitled to a refund from the hotel, but would this warrant a refund on say an advance ticket booked to the destination which would no longer be used due to a local lockdown?
  • If I choose to travel internationally, and the area of the airport is in “local lockdown” meaning that hotels cannot be booked for the night before, will tickets be amendable to accommodate for this or will we simply be expected to make alternative arrangements?

I don’t feel that the guidance has been particularly clear on these issues, and because of this I, along with many others, am very reluctant to book any holidays in fear that I’ll lose all my money over simple “bad luck” in terms of local lockdowns.
Whilst I am conscious that generalizing is dangerous on this forum and any imprecision tends to get picked apart (including by me :E) I shall endeavour to summarize. However, the term “local lockdown” is not well-defined so I will need to answer in a slightly different way.

• If accommodation you have booked and prepaid cancels your booking or chooses to close you will be entitled to a refund.
  • If accommodation you have booked is forced to close by the authorities, you will probably be entitled to a refund. (There is not to my knowledge a defining legal precedent for this scenario.) If you have not prepaid you will definitely not then need to pay.
  • If accommodation you have booked is open and ready, willing, and able to accommodate you, but you do not use it, you will not be entitled to a refund. This includes, for example, where your transportation is disrupted, is cancelled, or is impossible owing to government restriction, or the level of COVID19 cases makes you disinclined to travel.
  • Broadly the same principles apply, mutatis mutandis, to travel bookings.
  • Travel insurance may cover you in some of the above scenarios, but the cheapest policies invariably will not.

Edited to fix typo.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's good advice from @island and I will add it's generally best to pay by credit card.

I've booked a trip to Portugal for October; currently Portugal is not in the list of countries exempt from the advice not to travel. My question is this: if Portugal is added to the list of exempt countries before my trip departs (as I expect to happen), would travel insurance be valid from that point onwards? Or does the fact I booked at a time when it was not in the exempt list invalidate travel insurance for the whole trip?

island

Veteran Member
My understanding, without reading your policy wording, is that you would become covered for matters arising on your holiday, but not for cancellation should the guidance flip back and Portugal be placed on the “no non-essential travel” list again.

There are a great many insurance cases winding through the Financial Ombudsman Service at the moment, as well as a couple of High Court cases requesting declaratory relief. Business interruption insurance is the main matter in dispute but travel policy issues are also plentiful.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My understanding, without reading your policy wording, is that you would become covered for matters arising on your holiday, but not for cancellation should the guidance flip back and Portugal be placed on the “no non-essential travel” list again.
I would agree with that, my travel insurer (its provided free by bank account) says
“On 17 March, coronavirus became a ‘known event’ and travel restrictions were put in place. This means any trips booked after this date will not be covered if:
  • you need to cancel or come home early and
  • the advice against travelling is still in place at the time you’re due to travel.”
I asked them how long this would go on for, and they replied indefinitely, for instance they implied that even a holiday booked for 2021 would not be covered for any Covid-19 related cancellations

However, as Mike says above, many reputable companies are offering either no-charge amendments or cancellations for the foreseeable.

I had a flight operated by Greek airline cancelled a few months ago (nether the origin or destination were in Greece). The airline refused to offer a refund despite being legally required to do so, because they said the Greek parliament passed a law stating that they could offer a voucher, and then only refund after 12 Months if the voucher is unused. I sent off a request via my credit card, and they have returned the money.
I've booked a trip to Portugal for October; currently Portugal is not in the list of countries exempt from the advice not to travel. My question is this: if Portugal is added to the list of exempt countries before my trip departs (as I expect to happen), would travel insurance be valid from that point onwards? Or does the fact I booked at a time when it was not in the exempt list invalidate trave
Your insurer has probably published a cut off date for any trips, meaning that any trips booked after that date, will not be covered for any Covid-related cancellations or curtailments. If you do choose to travel despite the FCO advice they may also state that certain types of claims will not be considered.

My insurer has also said that if the advice is not to travel then you can cancel your trip and start a claim up to 31 days before the outbound travel date, even if the advice is later changed to say you can travel.

sheff1

Established Member
  • If accommodation you have booked and prepaid cancels your booking or chooses to close you will be entitled to a refund.
  • If accommodation you have booked is forced to close by the authorities, you will probably be entitled to a refund. (There is not to my knowledge a defining legal precedent for this scenario.) If you have not prepaid you will definitely not then need to pay.
  • If accommodation you have booked is open and ready, willing, and able to accommodate you, but you do not use it, you will not be entitled to a refund. This includes, for example, where your transportation is disrupted, is cancelled, or is impossible owing to government restriction, or the level of COVID19 cases makes you disinclined to travel.
  • Broadly the same principles apply, mutatis mutandis, to travel bookings.
  • Travel insurance may cover you in some of the above scenarios, but the cheapest policies invariably will not.

Wouln't argue with most of that, but in the circumstances I have highlighted a good way to avoid being out of pocket for the accommodation is to book a hotel which allows free cancellation up to and including the scheduled day of arrival. In my experience the cut off is generally 18:00 local time.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Wouln't argue with most of that, but in the circumstances I have highlighted a good way to avoid being out of pocket for the accommodation is to book a hotel which allows free cancellation up to and including the day of arrival. In my experience the cut off is generally 18:00 local time.

Sound advice indeed, no hassle over refunds, and you can cancel if the weather is bad too.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I've gone ahead and booked a trip to Prague for next month. Completely fed up of everything and need to escape for a while after lockdown and losing my job has had a huge impact on my mental health. Prices were still cheap for August but had started to increase, so I went for it before it was too expensive. Flight and hotel booked, need to sort out travel insurance though.

takno

Established Member
I've gone ahead and booked a trip to Prague for next month. Completely fed up of everything and need to escape for a while after lockdown and losing my job has had a huge impact on my mental health. Prices were still cheap for August but had started to increase, so I went for it before it was too expensive. Flight and hotel booked, need to sort out travel insurance though.
Hmm. Czech Republic could be interesting.

I'm suspicious I might have to book two weeks in England on my return though, with the Scottish government making up their own restrictions on countries as they go along

Last edited:

adc82140

Established Member
Has the current situation changed your holiday plans? Are you going away at all this summer?

We are supposed to be going to Inverness in 10 days. As it stands we are all set to depart as planned. If any issues with cross border travel crop up between now and then, we'll have to change location. Despite what the media have said (quelle surprise) not all UK holiday accommodation is sold out.

What about you?

DelayRepay

Established Member
I have a week away booked in the UK next month, with family. I am looking forward to it. This is an annual holiday we have but we did not think it would happen this year. We are expecting it to be a bit different - more walks, more takeaways and fewer meals out but we are all desperate for a break and a change of scenery.

I haven't booked my main holiday yet, which is in September. The friend I usually go with is furloughed and concerned he will not have a job come September so doesn't want to commit. Our latest discussion was possibly going somewhere in the UK for a week or so, depending on circumstances nearer the time.

Scrotnig

Well I'm in Leicester so all holidays are off for the rest of the year anyhow.

I never go abroad so if I was going to go it'd be in the UK. However none of the restrictions hotels and suchlike are imposing sound remotely appealing so I've written off holidays for this year entirely. I doubt next year will be much different.

takno

Established Member

I never go abroad so if I was going to go it'd be in the UK. However none of the restrictions hotels and suchlike are imposing sound remotely appealing so I've written off holidays for this year entirely. I doubt next year will be much different.
I'm in a hotel right now, and aside from the staff having to wear masks, and not getting the beds made daily it's all pretty similar. There are some universally ignored one way systems, and no buffet for breakfast, but that's not the biggest hardship ever.

Obviously there will be a few Fawlty Towers types who are only too keen to make the whole thing in misery, but they've usually been doing a fairly good job of that all along

Scrotnig

I'm in a hotel right now, and aside from the staff having to wear masks, and not getting the beds made daily it's all pretty similar. There are some universally ignored one way systems, and no buffet for breakfast, but that's not the biggest hardship ever.

Obviously there will be a few Fawlty Towers types who are only too keen to make the whole thing in misery, but they've usually been doing a fairly good job of that all along
Well that's reassuring, thanks. (I never liked buffet breakfasts anyway....rubbery food and also obvious hygiene issues!)

If Leicester is released by October I might book a weekend away then and see how it goes.

route101

Established Member
Im going away next week , just myself , no biggie if its takeaways or sitting in a beer garden.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

The only restriction for Leicesterians is on staying overnight somewhere within England that is not the place they (or their linked household) is living. You are permitted to travel about and stay overnight anywhere else where overnight stays are locally permissible (e.g. Scotland, much of Europe).

takno

Established Member
The only restriction for Leicesterians is on staying overnight somewhere within England that is not the place they (or their linked household) is living. You are permitted to travel about and stay overnight anywhere else where overnight stays are locally permissible (e.g. Scotland, much of Europe).
I think Scotland has a restriction. There are also several European countries which have restrictions on specific cities including Leicester

Jamiescott1

Got back from a week in croatia yesterday - yesterday they made it mandatory to wear masks in shops but prior to that there was no restrictions except we had to wear a mask on the ferry. Restaurants, bars etc were all normal.

Going to France on Thursday for 10 days.

Jamiescott1

Arriving in the UK, there was a couple of police just before the UK border who were randomly checking people had completed the arrival covid questionnaire (guessing they checked about 10% of arrivals).

To queue for the automatic passport gate's, they encouraged us to queue as close together as possible, with a member of staff telling us to move up

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I think Scotland has a restriction. There are also several European countries which have restrictions on specific cities including Leicester
There are no Leicester-specific restrictions in Scotland. You are correct that some European countries restrict travel from Leicester residents, but not many are bothering as it is frankly more trouble than it's worth proving where someone actually lives (for instance, you could live in Birmingham normally and have everything issued with that as your address, but be living with family in Leicester at the moment, and vice versa).

Scrotnig

In England plenty of places are cancelling bookings from anyone with a Leicester postcode and are telling them they won’t allow them to rebook until at least next year.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
In England plenty of places are cancelling bookings from anyone with a Leicester postcode and are telling them they won’t allow them to rebook until at least next year.
I would suggest taking a wide berth around any businesses intending to do the latter! It's also rather a big, but vital, job to compare to the list of affected postcodes rather than just going on the basis of "Leicester". There will be places whose post town is Leicester and yet which are outwith the restricted area, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.