• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holiday Luggage When Flying on Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
I'm curious to know how much luggage others take with them when flying abroad on holiday for more than a week. My wife and I take around 15kg or so each for a week and maybe 17kg or so if we go for 2 weeks. That's 2 suitcases hold luggage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
When I have been travelling on my own, I've haven't checked in a bag into the hold for a decade or so. The rules for what is allowed on board varies for each airline (and sometimes for different models of plane for the same airline), so you need to check up. Even with airlines that have a weight limit for carry on bags, its a long time since my carry on bag has been weighed.

I usually have 3-4kg of work stuff (laptop, charger, and other computer clutter). I'll take up to 4 Rohan shirts, which are easy to handwash and dry, underwear and socks, a fleece, a coat, and swimming trunks. Rohan trousers wash and dry really quickly so I don't need a spare pair, and they don't all look like you have wandered off a mountain. If I'm going to a hotel, I can use their towels. Otherwise I've got a polypropylene travel one.

The advantage of taking less stuff, is that you don't then have to lug it about at each end. When I know I'm going to keep the bag with me, and not have to withstand being thrown about by a baggage handler, then it can be lighter. For longer trips I use an Osprey Farpoint 40L bag https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/farpoint-40-14 which has a lot of space, and a reasonable backpack harness. With a smaller bag, it is more likely that I can keep it nearby when I'm on public transport, so there is less risk of theft.

It takes a bit of care to get toiletries that are small enough for carry on luggage, but I can then top up the bottles when they get empty.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
When I have been travelling on my own, I've haven't checked in a bag into the hold for a decade or so.

It takes a bit of care to get toiletries that are small enough for carry on luggage, but I can then top up the bottles when they get empty.

Same here. Wife on the other hand takes about 3 suitcases - seriously. I have to really put my foot down to get her down to 2.

superalbs

Established Member
Small backpack that fits in the Ryanair sizer. Not sure what else I could possibly need to take?

bspahh

Established Member
What sort of stuff do you normally take for holidays of a week or more?

This is my packing list for an 8 day trip to Canada in June, with 2 laptops, in a 40L carry on bag.

Laptop and spare
charger and spare,
mouse and spare
Presenter mouse
US adaptor
USB leads (mini, micro, USB-C *2)
Kindle
Phone
MP3 player
Headphones and spares
Headset
Camera
HDMI VGA adaptor
Printout of driving license
Travel towel
Toiletries, First aid kit, ibuprofen
Short sleeve shirts x 3
Long sleeve shirt x 2
Fleece
Waterproof coat
Hat
Sunglasses
Reading glasses x 2
Trousers
Underwear
Socks x 3
Coffee plunger
Spork
Carrier bag

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Depends on the airline baggage allowance (and how much I am prepared to pay to check in bags) and how long I am away for.

EssexGonzo

20kg absolute max for a week plus a small day sack. Even skiing, I can get all kit + boots into 22kg (Jet 2's limit for this year's holiday). Any I'm quite large so have heavy pants and ski boots. :E

But it really does depend upon the type of holiday. I would guess that a posh cruise would demand more posh frocks. Not that I'll ever go on a posh cruise.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
When I make my annual month-long trip to The Philippines, the airline I’m flying with usually has a 30kg allowance and an unlimited piece concept. Going out I tend to only bring essentials, in order for me to have most of my allowance coming home.

I tend to buy a lot of things like tools, machinery, kitchenwares, food, ingredients, trinkets and crap back with me as it is cheaper over there and a lot more choice, as well as some things I like to use here simply not being available here. These tend to go in the original (light) suitcase that came over with me, then I fashion and secure cardboard boxes to store the rest. I’ve been known to check in 11 pieces of luggage at one time! I’ve also utilised one one occasion what is known as a ‘Chinese suitcase’ which is a very handy and large woven bag that zips up. The good thing about checking in odd pieces of luggage such as cardboard boxes is that they are handled separately, rather than down the conventional conveyor.

All my clothes and soft and small stuff goes in my cabin baggage, meaning that I really maximise the amount I can bring home with me. One thing I’d advise, is always maximise your carry on allowance and check it before you travel! You will he surprised how much extra you are allowed to bring. Obviously liquids and other banned items that can’t be in the passenger cabin go into the hold luggage.

The greatest piece of luggage I’ve transported has got to be the 4ft long flamethrower I’d purchased over there. Great for the garden and roofing jobs etc! I remember soon as I entered the baggage hall at Manchester there it was riding on the conveyor!

Howardh

Established Member
I go to warm places for about a week, so it's a Ryanair sized cabin bag. Clothes I go in I return in, then there are three lots of everything else in rotation, wash, dry, wear. The bugbear us just the one pair of trainers for the whole week + aquashoes for the beach, so the trainer insides get a bit of a clean every day or so. Such a pain when I want to take those 6" stiletto thigh-high boots and there's no room.
My luxury item is my 4k Panny camera, although these days that could be substituted by a phone that does the same.

Bungle158

On extended trips, 7 Kg in an Osprey Farpoint backpack. Fits all airline sizers, inside max weight limit for cabin bags on 99% of airlines where I live in Asia. I never have to queue in baggage reclaim. I also cheat by toting a Sony RX100 camera in my pocket and carrying on my tablet in my hand. Nary a hassle

jmh59

We generally carry two rucksacks as carry-on plus a laptop, and one checked suitcase between us at less than 20kg. Last time we took two small cases for the hold and each was less than 10kg. That was for 10 days. I think the most total weight we've had was 30kg between two suitcases for a family of 4 for 14 days even though as the kids were full fare we had 80kg allowance in total.

But trips tend to be to warm places so no need for heavy clothes. We used to go to Montreal in the winter but we had family there and the warm clothes were waiting for us.

Gvision

Normally for a week long holiday, I could fit my luggage into my hand luggage. But let’s not speak of holidays at this moment :frown:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Normally 2x20kg as that's what Jet2 let us have. Works out at 5kg for me and 35kg for wife and toddler :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.