• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacker50

Hi a friend and i are having a 2 week holiday taking locomotive train photos. Could anyone recommend any good stations for locomotive photo taking. In midlands and north of England. So we can make a list and start booking hotels. Id like friendly staff stations don’t want somewhere where we will be moved on (ive been told this happens) Holidays will be late September
Many Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well Helpfull as Always :(

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm in the north Doncaster is probably a safe bet to see some locomotives. You should get plenty of 91s and 43s (some of which will be at speed on the through roads), as well as freight hauled by 66s (there is a 92 hauled service but I'm not sure if it actually goes through Doncaster and I don't know the times). Settle might be another option as the Settle - Carlise line gets a fair bit of freight and charters but I'm not sure of the frequency (you could be sat there for some time without much going on). The Hope Valley Line also sees some freight so perhaps somewhere like Chinley or Dore might be another option (but again I'm not sure on the frequency).

Johnuk123

Established Member
I don't know what the staff are like but Crewe is a good place.

Established Member
Doncaster and Carlisle are two good stations, and both have some cheap B+Bs next to the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.