• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holmes Chapel [HCH] to Manchester Airport [MIA] via Manchester Piccadilly [MAN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalmus

Hi All,

I do a daily journey normally Manchester Airport to Holmes Chapel return.

On occasion, I return to either Heaton Chapel or Manchester Piccadilly, rather than the airport.

Previously, I've always been told a £9.60 returned covered this journey, as it allowed you to catch a direct train back to the airport, or go on the Stockport line and change at Manchester (and exit the journey early). This ticket has now changed to read Route: Direct, when previously it was any permitted. There is now an any permitted route at £13.

Has something been introduced to stop abuse of this ticket (as it is a cheaper way to get to Manchester from Holmes Chapel)? Can I still use the £9.60 for this journey - or do I need to buy the more expensive any permitted?

If so, I assume there is nothing stopping me getting on at the airport but buying a ticket from East Didsbury to Holmes Chapel return - this is only £10.20 and allows travel by any permitted route, so I assume this would allow a return journey via the Stockport line, and completing the journey before the airport.

Any help appreciated - the advice from guards seem to be contradictory!

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Holmes Chapel is associated with Crewe and Wilmslow Group.
Manchester Airport is a member of Wilmslow Group.

Your origin and destination share a common routeing point - Wilmslow Group - therefore the only permitted routes are either on direct trains or following the shortest route (or those no more than 3 miles longer).

Shortest Route Calculation

[Table 84] Holmes Chapel - Wilmslow: 10.5 miles
[Table 84] Wilmslow - Manchester Airport: 4.25 miles

Total: 14.75 miles

[Table 84] Holmes Chapel - Manchester Piccadilly via Stockport: 22.5 miles
[Table 85] Manchester Piccadilly - Manchester Airport: 9.75 miles

Total: 32.25 miles

You are not permitted to travel via Manchester Piccadilly on a Holmes Chapel - Manchester Airport Route Any Permitted ticket. It would seem that you have been misinformed and undercharged previously when you travelled via Manchester Piccadilly (or Heaton Chapel).

On the same note, East Didsbury is associated with Manchester Group and Wilmslow Group. It shares a common routeing point with Holmes Chapel, ie. Wilmslow Group. The only permitted routes are either on direct trains or following the shortest route (or those no more than 3 miles longer). You are not permitted to travel via Manchester Piccadilly (or Heaton Chapel).

totalmus

Actually one more query - Heaton Chapel falls under the Stockport routing group (and therefore there is no common routing group).

Could you get a return Heaton Chapel to Holmes Chapel (and then travel Manchester Airport to Holmes Chapel, and Holmes Chapel to Heaton Chapel?

Last edited:

totalmus

Thanks for the suggestion - the outbound journey is before 09.30 - unless I've had a very good lie in!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Actually one more query - Heaton Chapel falls under the Stockport routing group (and therefore there is no common routing group).

Could you get a return Heaton Chapel to Holmes Chapel (and then travel Manchester Airport to Holmes Chapel, and Holmes Chapel to Heaton Chapel?

Heaton Chapel is associated with Manchester Group and Stockport.

Fares Check

Holmes Chapel - Heaton Chapel Route Any Permitted Anytime Day Return: £8.70

Holmes Chapel - Manchester Stns Route Any Permitted Anytime Day Return: £9.90
Holmes Chapel - Stockport Route Any Permitted Anytime Day Return: £7.40

Stockport is an appropriate routeing point for Heaton Chapel.

Crewe - Heaton Chapel Route Any Permitted Anytime Day Return: £11.10
Wilmslow - Heaton Chapel Route Any Permitted Anytime Day Return: £4.10

Wilmslow Group is an appropriate routeing point for Holmes Chapel.

Wilmslow Group to Stockport is permitted on map MH, which means you can either travel direct between them, or go via Manchester Group. This permits you to travel Holmes Chapel - Wilmslow - Manchester Airport - Manchester Piccadilly - Heaton Chapel, or Holmes Chapel - Wilmslow - Stockport - Heaton Chapel.

This is in addition to direct trains between Holmes Chapel and Heaton Chapel, and the shortest route.

I think your suggestion would work. There is no break of journey restriction on any ticket, which means you can start short at Manchester Airport.

Heaton Chapel - Holmes Chapel
Route Any Permitted
Anytime Day Return
£10.20

or

Off-Peak Day Return
£8.90 Restriction B1

Status
Not open for further replies.