• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Home Cleaning Poll

How Often Do You Clean Your Home?

• Once a day - Cleanliness is next to Godliness

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • A few times a week -l like to keep on top of it

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Once a week - it's enough for me

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Once a month - what a bore

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Every few months - I hate cleaning

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Once a year - spring clean is enough for me

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • We're supposed to clean our homes?!

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
I was just wondering how often people do their house cleaning.
I have to admit to laziness and we clean when it really has got the point that it really needs doing. :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
Being happily single, if I put something down, it's there until I move it. It's just easier to do tidying up, as I go along. Every now and again I'll have a purge.

Domh245

Established Member
It varies! The last few years (when living away), I've tended to alternate between tidying my room*, and tidying the kitchen** & bathroom on a fortnightly schedule. Less used rooms I'd do less frequently, and mostly just when required (or if I was in the swing of things, or very bored!)

*light dusting, hoovering, making sure things were all put away

*Cleaning the stovetop, tiling, sweeping/mopping floor, etc. I'm a firm believer in washing-up as I go when cooking, and I only ever cleaned the oven just before I moved out!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Currently adopting the "Reference library after the fire alarm has just sounded" look. ;)

Condor7

One of the domestics deal with that kind of thing.
Absolutely, especially after breakfast, I like my devilled kidneys while doing the Times crossword but the lady of the house likes her kippers and I would imagine getting rid of the smell in the kitchen (were ever that is) would be a dashed difficult job.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Cleaning is not the most exciting activity although it’s best to keep on top of it. Playing music whilst you work or sharing the chores out can help.

In our house we each have our own tasks to do so the house never gets that bad. One person cooks and does the bins. The other cleans the bathroom, kitchen and dusts. I vacuum, iron and garden. Everyone is responsible for feeding the cats and unloading the dishwasher.

If one of us us away then someone else picks up their tasks. The system simply works

People who live on their own and/or who don’t have guests very often get lazy. Keeping a clean house is not a priority. Who has the motivation to wash up their dinner plates when there’s no one in the morning who will be bothered by them?

If anyone has been as bored as a claim during lockdown their house must be spotless by now! There is always cleaning to be done in some way

BluePenguin

On Moderation
How do you deal with cat hairs? We only have one but it sheds hair like there is no tomorrow.
We deal with the cat hair rather well. We have a high-end and powerful wireless vacuum cleaner with a rotating bristles function which scrubs the carpet fabric as you move it. It does a great job of collecting the hair and makes vaccuming a breeze! If we have people coming round for instance we get it out for a quick once over which is usually enough.

Our 2 cats are forever dropping hair everywhere so the vaccuum gets a lot of use. Especially at this time of year when they are malting their winter coats off.

Our long haired maincoon is the main culprit. Although the short haired black and white tuxedo sheds his fair share too. We are trying to get into the habit of grooming them both more with the brush and grooming gloves.

Ediswan

Established Member
Our 2 cats are forever dropping hair everywhere so the vaccuum gets a lot of use. Especially at this time of year when they are malting their winter coats off.
I'm sure there a brewery related joke in there somewhere, but I can't quite work out what it is.

nlogax

Established Member
I can't really function properly without a tidy space to live in. If things aren't tidy then it's a sure sign I'm either taking time off work, I'm ill or it's a lazy weekend with no plans.

Gloster

Established Member
I was once told that if your house was clean it didn't look "lived in". My house looks "lived in". ;)
Mine looks, not so much ‘lived in’, as though someone has died here. Cleaning consists of making sure that any waste food (not that there is much) goes straight in the bin, unwashed plates, etc. are put in the kitchen sink and washed with the water left at the bottom of the kettle when available, and occasionally putting the cleaner down the toilet (luckily she is quite small). I did use a Brillo pad on the draining board recently and while I have been isolating exercise has consisted of walking to the hall and clearing bit by bit the pile of accumulated paperwork on the table. My usual method is to move house every couple of years, but I have been here nearly eighteen.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where's the option for "When it's dirty?"

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Quentin Crisp famously said after about 2 years inattention to cleaning , the dust does not get worse.

As a family of 4 - 3 of whom work - it is a constant chore to keep up with a robust standard of cleaning.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I have been reading about life as a soldier, anyone here have experience of that? The floor under the beds had to be clean enough to eat off, but in practice the whole dorm was not so clean, I guess the dust has to go somewhere.
'Visited Aunty Wendy, she keeps the toilet so clean, one could eat dinner off of the floor!'

'You are right there, I found a half-chewed chicken wing on the floor, I guess Fido had hidden it there for later'

SteveM70

Established Member
I’m good at tidying as I go (and it drives the kids crackers when they’re here), other than that I vac the carpets and wash the wooden floors once a week, dust once a week, and clean the bathroom and downstairs bog a couple of times a week.

I hate clutter and mess, always have done

westv

Established Member
We deal with the cat hair rather well. We have a high-end and powerful wireless vacuum cleaner with a rotating bristles function which scrubs the carpet fabric as you move it. It does a great job of collecting the hair and makes vaccuming a breeze! If we have people coming round for instance we get it out for a quick once over which is usually enough.

Our long haired maincoon is the main culprit. Although the short haired black and white tuxedo sheds his fair share too. We are trying to get into the habit of grooming them both more with the brush and grooming gloves.
That sounds interesting. Product name?

DerekC

Established Member
Very boring really - Mrs C does upstairs and I do downstairs, once a week. Between whiles she tidies up whilst I leave things lying about - it balances out OK with only minor explosions now and then.

DelW

Established Member
I imagine it might begin with a "D" and end with "yson"? Failing that, it's probably "G" and "tech"! :D
Whenever I watch daytime TV (not very much even post retirement), I'm amazed at the advertising effort and budget expended on vacuum cleaners. Mine is a "Henry" inherited from my parents and at least thirty years old, which itself replaced a 30-year-old Electrolux.

I don't want to wear it out prematurely by using it too frequently :lol:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Tidying and things like the dishes etc I do as I go, bins get done when they are full, and the more general cleaning (dusting, cleaning random surfaces, hoovering etc) is done once a fortnight (which isn't an option on the poll haha - am I the odd one out there?).

takno

Established Member
That sounds interesting. Product name?
You might want to just get a 15 quid carpet sweeper off Amazon and give that a go. Basically it just seems like having a brush that attacks the carpet is better for hairs than a hoover, and it's a lot easier to get it out and give the carpet the once-over. If you're feeling lazy and fancy getting something to keep the cats on their toes, most robot cleaners work on the same principle

Status
Not open for further replies.