• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Honda and BMW, Swindon and Hams Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
I recently asked about a trial service of Honda cars for export that will see Honda transported from Portbury to Dollands Moor by rail. Thanks to Freightmaster for his answer.

This got me wondering about a few things. Firstly, there doesn't seem to be any regular railfreight flows from the Honda plant at Swindon. When was the branch line to this facility last used? Have Honda considered sending their products by rail in the UK?

I am also curious about the sidings at BMW's plant Swindon where MINI body panels are manufactured. I assume that no trains have used the yard since Rover traffic to Longbridge ceased in 2005, although I am aware that part of the branch is still used by scrap trains for Cocklebury. Are the BMW sidings still in place?

Finally, when Hams Hall was built for BMW MINI engine production, a rail siding was installed but this is now disused? Was it ever used?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I would be interested to know if public money was used to build these sidings and if they were part of the planning application conditions?

The Planner

Veteran Member
The Hams Hall one was probably never used, it doesn't get anywhere near the plant and there certainly aren't any loading facilities apart from Hams Hall itself.

pdeaves

Established Member
Firstly, there doesn't seem to be any regular railfreight flows from the Honda plant at Swindon. When was the branch line to this facility last used?

I believe it has never been used.

I am also curious about the sidings at BMW's plant Swindon where MINI body panels are manufactured. I assume that no trains have used the yard since Rover traffic to Longbridge ceased in 2005, although I am aware that part of the branch is still used by scrap trains for Cocklebury. Are the BMW sidings still in place?

There is still a connection of sorts between the old Highworth branch and the BMW plant. It leaves the branch, passes through what was once a gate but is now fence, over a cycle path level crossing, then stops at the factory fence. Inside the factory site, sidings that were on ballast have been lifted. Those set in concrete, further inside the site, are still in place.

pdeaves

Established Member
There is still a connection of sorts between the old Highworth branch and the BMW plant. It leaves the branch, passes through what was once a gate but is now fence, over a cycle path level crossing, then stops at the factory fence. Inside the factory site, sidings that were on ballast have been lifted. Those set in concrete, further inside the site, are still in place.

In case anyone's interested, this was written from memory and I got it the wrong way round. I went past today and can say with certainty that the track continues past the fence into the site as it is concreted in. The track further inside the site, previously on ballast, has been removed.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
In case anyone's interested, this was written from memory and I got it the wrong way round. I went past today and can say with certainty that the track continues past the fence into the site as it is concreted in. The track further inside the site, previously on ballast, has been removed.

Thanks for clearing that up, I had seen the sidings on flickr and google earth so I was wondering what their current status was. At least some track has survived, unlike at Longbridge.

Oxfordblues

If these Honda trains are loaded at Portbury before heading off to Ghent (or is it Genk?) via Swindon, presumably they're roaded from Swindon to Portbury beforehand. Is this because of issues with using South Marston? It does seem an awful lot of wasteful haulage.

Status
Not open for further replies.