• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hope Valley Capacity Scheme updates

Class 170101

Established Member
Micro news management seems to be endemic. A gradual news trickle from East-West, until last weeks announcement. Nothing definite on Blyth and Tyne or Okehampton, despite the 3rd train of concrete sleepers having just delivered. If these schemes were to be abandoned, the waste of money would (should) be a scandal. If they are not going to be abandoned then, why not just announce the funding anyway?

They did announce the EWR and Blyth and Tyne stuff on a Saturday seems very odd if you ask me. Most of the big journalists don't work weekends unless they have to it seems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

td97

Established Member
It's too late for any major changes without going through all the procedures all over again - and fairly minor ones too. It goes ahead as is or likely to get knocked back again for years!
Contract awards were delayed due to change in scope for ESN (emergency services network)

Killingworth

Established Member
What does that mean exactly.....?
I was wondering that too. As far as I was aware it was all tied up back in October and was only awaiting Treasury approval. The suggestion seems to be a last minute hitch which may related to signalling and control? The Emergency Services Network - the network that may make managing incidents like those at Grenfell and Victoria more manageable? I'm all for that in the Peak District where communications can be somewhat variable in quality and we have two long tunnels.

td97

Established Member
ESN provision is being upgraded from Airwave to EE systems in Totley tunnel, which is running behind schedule.

The Hope Valley contact was awarded 2 months ago for GRIP5-8 but further agreement is required due to changes in scope before announcement or commencement of works

D365

Veteran Member
ESN provision is being upgraded from Airwave to EE systems in Totley tunnel, which is running behind schedule.

The Hope Valley contact was awarded 2 months ago for GRIP5-8 but further agreement is required due to changes in scope before announcement or commencement of works
Do you mind elaborating on the abbreviations please? I know what GRIP is, and I assume EE is the telecoms company, but others may not understand those, or what ESN means.

Killingworth

Established Member
Do you mind elaborating on the abbreviations please? I know what GRIP is, and I assume EE is the telecoms company, but others may not understand those, or what ESN means.
ESN - I posted the link in Post 731; https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ications-programme/emergency-services-network

In Totley Tunnel, over 3 miles long, we need the very best possible emergency services communications. See the chaos that unfolded when there was a derailment without any injuries in 1971; https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=460

Imagine if a second passenger train had been going the other way and 2 miles in either direction to walk to get help. At the Totley end it's still some way along the deep cutting to Totley Tunnel East signal box - which is due to go in this scheme. Mobile phone signals are weak there and near Grindleford.

In 1971 there were fewer trains than today. The tunnel is the next big bottleneck to be resolved causing a 6 minute separation between trains. Anything that may help to closely monitor trains in the tunnel must encourage thoughts of a future possible closing up of that gap.

EE coverage​

EE will provide ESN coverage along major and minor roads, selected buildings, road tunnels and railway facilities, as well as 12 miles out to sea and up to 500 feet above the ground. EE’s delivery of ESN incorporates coverage improvements to their existing commercial 4G network via a programme of site upgrades.

EE have now completed construction of 385 of the new sites needed, with the remaining 81 masts due to be finished shortly.

ESN users will get priority use of the EE 4G network via a dedicated network code and utilise priority radio and core network bearers to access ESN public safety services.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Killingworth

Established Member
It's now 5 months since TOC's and interested parties were shown the detailed timetable for this project stretching from January - March 2022 for site preparation and 15 months for the main contract April 2022 - June 2023.

Leaks are coming out as to who has tendered for and who may have got contracts. Names have even been suggested as having been appointed for specific roles. However a public announcement of the go ahead is still awaited.

Network Rail and the DfT seem to want to keep this project top secret. Surely it's part of The Great North Project? Not so much as you'd notice. Replacing Siddick bridge at Workington's there. Work on Shaws and Crabtree level crossings is there. Refurbishing both the passenger lifts at Macclesfield station is there. Lengthening station platforms is there, including some in the Hope Valley completed a year ago. Hopefully it might be mentioned under TransPennine upgrade. Not a chance, not even a foot note! Top secret it truly is.

Will Rishi Sunak have been told so he can include it in his speech tomorrow as part of levelling up for the north?

If someone doesn't announce it soon we may well wonder what HMG has against Sheffield - the likely removal of the Manchester Airport connection is not being well received hereabouts; Yorkshire Post today

Brush 4

Secrecy does seem to be a thing with DfT and TOC's. Okehampton news was absent until suddenly last October, physical activity started at Okehampton, with new sleepers and other equipment arriving. No announcement, it just happened. Perhaps the same thing may transpire along the Hope Valley.....

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Secrecy does seem to be a thing with DfT and TOC's. Okehampton news was absent until suddenly last October, physical activity started at Okehampton, with new sleepers and other equipment arriving. No announcement, it just happened. Perhaps the same thing may transpire along the Hope Valley.....
It's quite weird - Church Fenton electrification too. Not many years ago ministers took every opportunity to blow the trumpet for every announcement (and re-announcement, and re-re-announcement).

zwk500

Veteran Member
It's quite weird - Church Fenton electrification too. Not many years ago ministers took every opportunity to blow the trumpet for every announcement (and re-announcement, and re-re-announcement).
On the contrary, after the 2nd delay, they didn't want to look silly by constantly touting yet more delays. Better to say nothing then turn up at the completed station with a pair of scissors and some ribbons for the photo. Of course, since March that second part isn't possible so they don't say anything at all.

Jozhua

Established Member
I sure hope so. But I'm not holding my breath

Killingworth

Established Member
Although it hasn't been officially announced this secret project is going ahead from 2022 or Volker Rail and their sub-contractors are going to have to lay off staff they've started contracting to do the work.

It has been announced in the Construction Enquirer and must be due an official fanfare very soon, surely! See; https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2021/03/08/volkerstory-jv-wins-80m-hope-valley-upgrade/

A joint venture between Volker Rail and Story Contracting has secured an £80m contract for the delayed Hope Valley railway upgrade between Manchester and Sheffield.
Work will allow three fast trains an hour

Work will allow three fast trains an hour

Now construction is expected to start in 2022 and complete by 2023
Work would pave the way for three fast trains per hour between the two key cities, rather than one every two hours, running through the Peak District.

The upgrade which was announced in 2018, includes creating a 3,600ft passing loop between Bamford and Hathersage, and adding a second track at Dore and Totley station.
This will allow passenger trains to pass slow-moving freight wagons, cutting journey times from 50 to 40 minutes.
Also in New Civil Engineer; https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...ins-80m-hope-valley-rail-contract-09-03-2021/

Volker/Story JV wins £80M Hope Valley rail contract​

09 MAR, 2021 BY CATHERINE KENNEDY

A Volker Rail and Story Contracting joint venture has secured an £80M contract for work on the delayed Hope Valley railway upgrade between Manchester and Sheffield.
The design-and-build contract will include GRIP stages four to eight of the new scheme. Construction is now expected to start in 2022 and complete by 2023.
A Transport & Works Act Order (TWAO) for the scheme, which is seen as a key enabler for the Northern Powerhouse Rail route upgrade, was granted by the Department for Transport (DfT) in February 2018.
At the time, Transport for the North said it was pressing for the release of funds for the detailed design work during 2018/9, with a view to starting on site in April 2019. However since then progress on the scheme has stalled.
The upgrade will facilitate three fast trains per hour between Manchester and Sheffield, rather than one every two hours.
Plans for the line include building a new section of track alongside the existing railway to the east of Bamford station to create a passing loop, which will allow faster passenger services to overtake slow moving freight trains.

At Dore, Network Rail plans to extend the existing Dore South Curve section of track, between West View Lane and Dore South Junction, to allow enough standing room for freight trains. This will then allow passenger services to pass without a waiting freight train blocking either the Hope Valley or Midland Main Lines.
A second track serving Dore and Totley station will be created and a new platform constructed. This will be accessed by a new footbridge and lifts.
In September last year transport secretary Grant Shapps said that he was a “great fan” of the line and that an answer on funding a capacity upgrade would be provided shortly.
He said: “I cannot make an announcement about it today, but I can say that ministers are investigating the possibilities to increase the capacity there and I don’t think you will have to wait too long for an answer on that.”
There are other reports and job ads from Volker. DfT , HMG, Network Rail must break cover very soon now the ferrets have left the sack!

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
Work would pave the way for three fast trains per hour between the two key cities, rather than one every two hours, running through the Peak District.

Quoted from the article linked above (post above mine) - really last time I check today's service (pre-covid) was a TPE and EMR fast service each hourly and a local service provided by Northern on a broadly hourly basis?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Quoted from the article linked above (post above mine) - really last time I check today's service (pre-covid) was a TPE and EMR fast service each hourly and a local service provided by Northern on a broadly hourly basis?
The intention is for an additional fast service each hour. It's unclear whether this will now materialise, but either way this upgrade will make a big contribution to punctuality on the line, with some of the biggest bottlenecks removed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'd say an extra Manchester-Sheffield fast service is still very likely to happen. The fast service would still only be half the frequency of Manchester to Leeds, for a market that's not much smaller and where the road alternative is awful. It's also one of the easier parts of NPR to deliver.

WAO

How far North of Dore Station will the 4-track section reach?

Another quiet piece of the MML jigsaw.

WAO

Killingworth

Established Member
How far North of Dore Station will the 4-track section reach?

Another quiet piece of the MML jigsaw.

WAO
Not very far from where Dore Station Junction is now! Not enough to make a material difference to MML electrification although I think there's provision for installing a very short electrified section south of the junction if/when the MML is ever electrified (HS2?), presumably to make it easier to link up and electrify the Hope Valley line at a later date.

Jozhua

Established Member
I'm really happy to see the project move ahead. Five years? too late, but still, better late than never.

More redundancy and capacity will help whatever we decide to do with it. By 2023 I expect (if covid is over by then) for passenger numbers to be bouncing back quite a bit, providing the economic recovery isn't completely messed up.

Maybe people will find it easier to get rid of their cars and use public transport if they don't need to be in the office as often. Remote working is likely to encourage more long distance travel.

Even if passenger numbers stagnate, it will be a real boost to those of us who rely on the line to get to work, see friends/family, or just like trips to Sheffield/Liverpool/Manchester (the three greatest cities in the UK)

snowball

Established Member
I must admit I was beginning to fear that TfN's still vague proposals for major improvements to the line would be used as an excuse for not doing this limited improvement now.

Killingworth

Established Member
When the May timetable is brought in we should be back to 3 services an hour between Sheffield and Piccadilly. TPE and EMR are relatively fast, although half the average speed of express trains on the ECML or WCML. Rushing to and from London has always been the railway's priority - as it was for stage coaches!

Northern are providing an hourly service, but all trains don't stop at all stations so you need to check timetables carefully.

As examples, don't try to catch the 13.14 for Dore & Totley. It doesn't stop so you'll find yourself going for a coffee at the Grindleford station cafe before catching the next train back. Why doesn't it stop at Dore, it has plenty of time to arrive early into Piccadilly most days? Long reserved freight paths that may have been used once in the last 6 months! If you miss the 20.14 from Sheffield don't linger in the Tap to catch the 21.14. It doesn't stop at Dore either - and at that time of night the Grindleford cafe's not open. In fact the Tap should do very well because the next Hope Valley train isn't until 22.47 - a 2 hour 33 minute gap for those wanting Dore. Users get picked up by family in town,get a taxi, bus, or even walk! They don't bother with trains in the evenings.

Where's this going? To the Sheaf Valley stations reopening thread if I go on any longer about Dore!! However Hope Valley Rail Users are pushing to get a half hourly stopping service down the valley, pointing out that the reason stations from New Mills into Manchester see higher passenger numbers is because they see twice as many trains per hour. When one is cancelled (not at all uncommon) it's not 2 or more hours until the next, a very big deterrent to greater rail use. The default travel option in the Hope Valley is the car.

Greybeard33

Established Member
However Hope Valley Rail Users are pushing to get a half hourly stopping service down the valley, pointing out that the reason stations from New Mills into Manchester see higher passenger numbers is because they see twice as many trains per hour. When one is cancelled (not at all uncommon) it's not 2 or more hours until the next, a very big deterrent to greater rail use. The default travel option in the Hope Valley is the car.
Surely one reason stations from New Mills into Manchester see higher passenger numbers is because they are in urban areas, not little villages!

Many villages the size of those in the Hope Valley are many miles from the nearest station and are lucky if they get one or two buses per day.

Killingworth

Established Member
Surely one reason stations from New Mills into Manchester see higher passenger numbers is because they are in urban areas, not little villages!

Many villages the size of those in the Hope Valley are many miles from the nearest station and are lucky if they get one or two buses per day.
As the passenger number figures for 2019-20 are to hand here they are for comparison, all east side figures based on hourly services and rising, over 10% at Dore;
  • Dore & Totley 219k (boosted by commuters for Manchester - could be nearer 500k if more trains stopped for journeys into and across Sheffield to Meadowhall and Doncaster or Leeds)
  • Grindleford 64k
  • Hathersage 73k
  • Bamford 44k
  • Hope 76k
  • Edale 100k
  • Chinley 129k
Then we go into Manchester with 2 tph at all the busiest which clearly helps ridership;
  • New Mills Central 227k
  • Strines 22k (falling)
  • Marple 498k
  • Romiley 394k
  • Bredbury 239k
  • Brinnington 109k (manned, and surrounded by security fencing like a prison camp last time I used it)
  • Reddish North 242k
  • Ryder Brow 33k
  • Belle Vue 8k
  • Ashburys 129k
Hope Valley is clearly less well populated but the stations attract a lot of incoming travellers drawn by outdoor pursuits. Edale is not really a village, more a valley of hamlets and the start of the Pennine Way. Grindleford, Bamford and Hope stations are all some distance from their respective villages. I'll leave fare evasion for now, suffice to say it's less of an issue for Northern when passengers board or alight at Piccadilly!