• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Horbury Bridge Disused Rail Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Couldn't find much of any information about the disused rail bridge at Horbury here: https://goo.gl/maps/VPNbKeBapieJyG6f6

Does anybody know anything about its structural state, who owns it (I notice there is no contact information for bridge strikes on it), or the land either side of it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brompton rail

It forms part of the line from the Midland Railway (Rotherham Masborough to Normanton) at near Royston to Saville Town at Dewsbury. The most notable part being Criggleston Viaduct. I believe the section east of Criggleston village is useable. I remember using it nearly 20 years ago. However many sections near Horbury have been ‘reused’! Sorry I’ve no idea who owns the section you mention, but it could be Highways Agency as the current owners of the unsold ex railway land.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I think there is something on the Lost Railways of West Yorkshire site about the line and viaduct.

I did read in a library book (can't remember which one) that the Midland Railway ran out of cash building the line so it never opened, I still think that the viaduct that is to the west of Newmillerdam Country Park wasn't used either.

pdeaves

Established Member

Senex

Established Member
I think there is something on the Lost Railways of West Yorkshire site about the line and viaduct.

I did read in a library book (can't remember which one) that the Midland Railway ran out of cash building the line so it never opened, I still think that the viaduct that is to the west of Newmillerdam Country Park wasn't used either.
Between 1909 and 1947 (with a break from 1917 to 1920) and for six months in 1960 the line was used as far as the junction with the L&Y for express passenger traffic. The intermediate stations were never opened for regular passenger traffic.

brompton rail

Have you considered contacting SUSTRANS? Their subsidiary company Railway Paths own a number of former railway lines and structures around the country, the Spen Valley route and Great Northern Trail being two in West Yorkshire.

Roast Veg

Established Member
As a follow up to this, I can confirm that Highways England own the related Crigglestone Viaduct to the east, but HM Land Registry appear to have no record for the Horbury Viaduct. Mysterious!

Status
Not open for further replies.